PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intel 82830 video chipset support

Stephen_at
November 29th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Anyone care to tell me when video cards using this chipset will be supported by Linux/Ubuntu again? They used to work fine but since 9.10 its been pretty much an impossible task to get them to work properly. From reading round on the net its something to do with modeset.

I have a perfecty good laptop which I either need to re-install XP on or I need to go back to something like 9.04 or below to get Ubuntu running on it - which I'm sure you'll agree is stupid.

Stephen_at
January 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM
And something in the last updates released to the 9.2 installed have totally hosed my computer and it now hangs on boot.

I guess its time for me to either re-install the last good 8.x release or re-install XP on the computer.

comm_pilot
February 26th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Like you, I've been summarily unsuccessful at installing any version of Ubuntu newer than 9.04 on a Sony Vaio R505-GL. I've tried all manner of kernel options (splash quiet, nomodeset, i915.modeset=0) across a series of versions ... no joy. On each attempt, my system boots into CL mode. If anybody has any suggestions for an xorg.conf content suitable for the Intel 82830 CGC graphic chip set, I'd be grateful.