PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help installing the newest BroadCom STA Driver (begginner)

Emmanuel Alvarado
November 29th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Hello,
i am new to Ubuntu 10.10, i just recently recieved a Mini CQ10-525DX with a Broadcom 4313 wlan card. when loading ubuntu i notice it says that it supports 4311 4312, so i looked on the broadcom website and they have a newer update with 4313 coverage. I downloaded it but do not know how to install it. If someone could help me i would be very grateful, and if possible make it as simple as possible since i am beginning to learn the OS.
Thank You

uncaspi
November 29th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Open a terminal and rename existing wl driver.
sudo mv /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko <space>/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.original.ko
Your tarball file are probably hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6.tar.gz
Make a new directory mkdir driver and cp hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6.tar.gz ./driver
then issue cd driver

Unpack the file tar zxvf hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6.tar.gz

sudo make
sudo make install
sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe wl

and thats it. Connect via network-manager

Emmanuel Alvarado
November 29th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I am not completely sure what im suppose to do so, i open terminal then the first thing i do is type:
sudo mv /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko <space>/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.original.ko <== exactly like that? or does uname mean my computer name which is emmanuel? and is <space> required? i know it sounds silly but i have little knowledge on open source programming but i would love to learn

Then my Tarbil file is hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6.tar.gz

To make a new directory do i have to use Terminal also and insert: mkdir driver, and cp hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6.tar.gz ./driver respectively?

when i do the following, Sudo Make, Sudo Make Install, Sudo Depmod -a etc. do i need to also type the directory?

Thanks, i know its alot but i would appreciate it so much

uncaspi
November 29th, 2010, 02:26 AM
<space> means to press the spacebar.$(uname -r) is your kernel version. Type it like I said. Yes you use the terminal for the rest of the commands. Linux is case sensitive so its like I typed it. After the cp command type
sudo make
sudo make install
sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe wl

as I said

Emmanuel Alvarado
November 29th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Alright so i did what you said and i got the following.
For the renaming part it said :
cannot stat: mv '/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernal/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko No such file or directory

for the making directory it says:
mkdir: cannot create directory 'driver' File exists (so i would assume that means the directory has been made)

for the CP part:
cp: cannot stat 'hybrid-portsrc_x86_5.60.246.6.tar.gz ./driver no such file or directory. (is this because this file is not inside the directory? if so how could i move it there, as right now its in the downloads folder)

This is were i stopped since i did not seem to know if anything was happening. Thanks

uncaspi
November 29th, 2010, 03:13 AM
there was an spelling error for kernel in the path. It should be
sudo mv /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko wl.orig.ko

Try mkdir mydir and copy the tarball hyb... to this as I said.
You must copy it from your download folder to /home/emmanuel or whatever it is. You see the name of the folder when you open the terminal.

Emmanuel Alvarado
November 29th, 2010, 03:51 AM
okay so after some manual searching i went into the wireless directory and there is no file for Wl.ko to rename is this an issue?

i moved the tarbill into the drivers folder that is /driver.

so from here
what exactly do i type into the cp command?

is it still:cp hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6.tar.gz ./driver
exactly like above, what does cp do?
When i type above it says there is no directory so i must be doing something wrong there, 'cp: cannot stat 'hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6.tar.gz ./driver'

after this i unpack it in the same folder? the driver directory, and itll become hyrbid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6 directory.

Then when i do the Sudo commands do i have to put that directory each time? if so would it be like:
sudo make hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6
sudo make install hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6
sudo depmod -a hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6
sudo modprobe wl hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6?

Once again i apologize i really just dont know whats going on, all i need is wifi to work on this thing then ill be content as i dont need to do anything else advanced

uncaspi
November 29th, 2010, 03:56 AM
/driver is your root folder. You should cp to your /home folder.
Do this. cd /home
ls
Find your username and do cd username

Emmanuel Alvarado
November 29th, 2010, 04:10 AM
okay im getting some progress here i was able to cp the hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6.tar.gz.

so now do i do the sudo commands while driver directory is my root
or do i make the hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6 my root now?

uncaspi
November 29th, 2010, 04:20 AM
/ is your root folder.
/home is your home folder
/home/put your username here, and you have your /home/user folder and to this folder you should cp hybrid.....gz

Emmanuel Alvarado
November 29th, 2010, 04:31 AM
i give up... im just not getting it.. it says i have the sta driver installed but it doesnt connect to anything, i can create a wireless network but it isnt connecting to anything in my house... when it works fully does it show the networks? or you have to type it in manually

uncaspi
November 29th, 2010, 04:35 AM
If it works it should show your networks in the area around you.

1337hippo
December 5th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Open a terminal and rename existing wl driver.
sudo mv /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko <space>/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.original.ko
Your tarball file are probably hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6.tar.gz
Make a new directory mkdir driver and cp hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6.tar.gz ./driver
then issue cd driver

Unpack the file tar zxvf hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6.tar.gz

sudo make
sudo make install
sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe wl

and thats it. Connect via network-manager

I followed these instructions and was successful, however, at the last step I got this:

$ sudo modprobe wl
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/aliases, it will be ignored in a future release.

is that OK?