View Full Version : [ubuntu] U820 and 10.10

November 29th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Hi all
I've just recommissioned and hope to rehabilitate a Fujitsu U820 - I installed 10.10 from a live USB, did all of the updates and while most things are working out of the box, there are a couple of immediate show-stoppers that I'd appreciate any and all help with:

1) Sound loop - Every sound at startup - the Initial "bonk" at the login screen, key clicks from typing in my password and the subsequent welcome tune - all loop, endlessly.

2) Possibly related to #1 - Firefox crashes if I visit a flash site with sound.

3) While the touchscreen is working, calibration is off: the cursor doesn't make it to the top edge and it's off by an increasing amount as I approach the edges.

Any advice? I've seen similar problems to #1 and 2 mentioned for earlier releases but any instructions I found were outdated for this release.

November 29th, 2010, 12:53 AM
do you use 32-bit or 64-bit? flash is just bad on 64-bit.

November 29th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Maybe so, but I think that the underlying problem is a bit lower level than a particular Flash version (as the startup sounds looping indicate)

Sadly the only way I know to determine the 32/64 bit question isn't being very useful - the Adobe page that shows this only reports:
Your Player Version: LNX
(as opposed to a multi-part ID ending in 32 or 64 as I have seen before)

December 1st, 2010, 04:44 AM
after some research and tweaking I still have the initial at the login screen looping but once I enter my password and login all. sound stops (ie I never hear the welcome tune)

What I've done

I installed alsamixer:

sudo aptitude update; sudo aptitude install gnome-alsamixer

Heres some relevant module options that I added:

options snd-hda-intel model=ALC269 probe_mask=1

and here are seemingly relevant messages from dmesg - these were present before and remain in place after the module options above were added:

[ 25.196019] hda-intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to polling m
ode: last cmd=0x000f0001
[ 25.235287] hda_codec: ALC269: SKU not ready 0x90970130
[ 25.235434] hda_codec: ALC269: BIOS auto-probing.

anyone have any ideas?

December 1st, 2010, 04:53 AM
after some research and tweaking I still have the initial at the login screen looping but once I enter my password and login all. sound stops (ie I never hear the welcome tune)

correction - I forgot that I had turned my sound theme to no sounds, when I switch the theme back to Ubuntu I hear the start of the welcome tune still looping :(

December 4th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Some more debugging and relevant info
- The length of the sound loop is 2 seconds - the first two seconds of the welcome tune loop
- It was thought that it could be a problem in the driver, but
killall pulseaudio stops the loop so it's not likely to be the driver that's looping
+ So I uninstalled pulseaudio and rebooted
+ well - the loop is actually worse now, it's faster (sped up sound) and it's stuck on the initial "bonk" sound from the login window
- So I reinstalled pulseaudio and rebooted
+Now there's just a loop on the initial login bonk
+ Movie Player and the Flash plugin in my browser don't produce any sound
- So I decided to try an alernative and installed esound, remove pulseaudio and rebooted
+ No good, back to the fast loop
- OK time to take a break

December 20th, 2010, 03:52 AM

Solved by the following post: