PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphics Card Advice

AlistairH
November 28th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I recently treated myself to two 23" Samsung B2330 monitors and need some suggestions for the best graphics card to use.

I currently have an PCI Express based ATI X300 card with 128MB and while it can drive these monitors it has a number of problems:
1. It only has one DVI output along with a VGA output so I'm not getting the best out of one of the monitors.
2. The inbuilt ATI driver with Ubuntu 10.04 insists that the VGA is attached to the first (left) monitor otherwise both screens end up distorted.
3. Everytime I fire up the PC, both screens are distorted once I get past the login screen. Restarting X with the standard CTRL+ALT+Backspace and logging in again cures it, but it is a right royal pain.

I also have a PCI based nVidia FX5200 graphics card with 256MB, but it will not recognise the screens' native resolution of 1920x1080 on its DVI port.

I'm looking for advice on a suitable graphics card with 2 x DVI that will support the 1920x1080 resolution and is compatible with Ubuntu 10.04.

I have no need for fancy graphics as the only compositing I use is that povided by Metacity. Neither do I need a card that is capable of playing the latest games - I don't do games. It only needs to support 2 x 1920x1080 res monitors on DVI ports.

I don't wish to spend a huge amount either, but as it's been a while since I've been in the market for such a beast, any guidance/recommendations would be most welcome.

DarthScape
November 28th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Which drivers are you using for either? Proprietary or Open Source?

AlistairH
November 29th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I'm currently using the open source driver with the ATI card. When I tried the nVidia card, the proprietary

mastablasta
November 29th, 2010, 02:36 PM
isn't the standard these days HDMI (though DVI can be converted to HDMI and i belive the other way works as well).

These ATI seem more hit or miss. Mine is Radeon 9600XT (which is i believe older than yours) yet it recognises monitor perfeclty.

maybe some newer Nvidia with 512 or 256 MB would be enough for you if you don't do gaming...