PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu is slowing down other Windows machines in network.

xanders
November 28th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I have two laptops with Ubuntu 10.10, Both work fine one is a hp dv8000 and the oher one is a Dell mini 9.

My issues is when I'm in a network where other people have Windows machines they complain with me because ubuntu is slowing down the wifi network but I don't see any issues with speed or slow pages is only the Windows machines and I have check and it only happens with Windows, Macs and Linux work fine.

If anyone know a method to check this or this is a problem with Windows or Linux.

Thank you.

akand074
November 28th, 2010, 10:11 PM
How does the fact that your running Linux in the network have anything to do with anything? That's just silly. I have been in many WiFi networks with a linux machine where there were windows/macs present and there wasn't any issues. Perhaps if you were doing downloads or anything bandwidth intensive that might cause slow downs, but that is the case regardless of the operating system.

Tell the other people they have no idea what they are talking about, there is no way your system is affecting the other systems just because your running Ubuntu.

xanders
December 15th, 2010, 05:05 PM
How does the fact that your running Linux in the network have anything to do with anything? That's just silly. I have been in many WiFi networks with a linux machine where there were windows/macs present and there wasn't any issues. Perhaps if you were doing downloads or anything bandwidth intensive that might cause slow downs, but that is the case regardless of the operating system.

Tell the other people they have no idea what they are talking about, there is no way your system is affecting the other systems just because your running Ubuntu.

It could be possible that my netbook is flooding the router and the router slows down?

Boondoklife
December 15th, 2010, 05:23 PM
The only way that I could see this happening is you have some network intensive app running that is eating up the bandwidth (P2P comes to mind).

Another possibility is your netbook is connecting as a 802.11b device while the others are using 802.11g. This can cause slowdowns as the router has to accommodate you at a slower speed.

There may be other reasons, but this is all I can think of. I would do this just to test it, open your laptop and act like your doing something (make sure you are not connected to the network) and see if they complain. If they do and your not actually online then they are just bashing you cause your not being a Windows drone.

One could also give them a gentle reminder that *nix devices power most of the network devices around so it is highly doubtful that you are slowing the network cause your running linux ;)

xanders
December 15th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I will run a few test and I'll come back with information. Thank you.