PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Big question here

EddiePugh
November 28th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I downloaded ubuntu and put it on my usb stick, but when I go to boot it, my computer runs the little dots, at the end it says running, then restarts my computer only to come to the same thing over and over again. This computer is a new Windows 7 laptop, but for reasons unimaginable am not able to load ANY OS besides puppy linux from a cd. Any help is appreciated :)

EddiePugh
November 28th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Is there a way to upgrade from Puppy Linux to Ubuntu?

Rex Bouwense
November 28th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I have to ask. Did you md5sum the download before you burned the ISO to the flash drive? Did you change the boot order in your BIOS to boot from the flash drive first. Try burning the ISO on a CD and booting from that (again change the boot order to boot from the CD drive first).
No. You cannot change from Puppy to Ubuntu. Two different OS.

EddiePugh
November 28th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I did not md5sum the download, I have no idea how to do that.

matt_symes
November 28th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hi

Read these.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

Also burn the CD on the slowest speed.

Kind regards

Rex Bouwense
November 28th, 2010, 06:46 PM
OK. When you download a very large file, you want to be sure that you got the download correct, so you perform a procedure that insures this. It is called an MD5Sum. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
The example uses Ubuntu 8.10 so you have to put in the version that you downloaded instead of 8.10.
Once that is done you have to burn the image to a CD or a flash drive to make it bootable.

Rex Bouwense
November 28th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Matt, you beat me to the draw and you got the hash web site. I couldn't find it. I got so much stuff bookmarked that I really need to get in there and organize it. On top of that I'm at a big disadvantage only typing with two fingers. :D

jcipale
November 28th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Rex has the right idea. When booting up our laptop and you are presented with the 'Hit <F2> to change settings, select the F2 and go to Boot-order. Your USB device should be listed. Follow the instructions to make the USB drive the first boot-device (just as long as it precedes the HDD)

matt_symes
November 28th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hi

Matt, you beat me to the draw and you got the hash web site. I couldn't find it. I got so much stuff bookmarked that I really need to get in there and organize it. On top of that I'm at a big disadvantage only typing with two fingers.

Yes. I just had both sites open for a check i am currently running, so i had bit of a head start there. :) Ahh, the joys of downloading.

Kind regards

ColdnitroX
November 28th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Also, if you are burning very large files, use the UDF filesystem on the CD. It kinda helps.:grin:

ajgreeny
November 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM
If downloading an .iso file that is large, it is definitely worth using a torrent client. I have no idea what is available for windows, but there are certainly several, and like all such applications it will check each part of the file as it comes down, and if any parts are faulty it will get that packet again. This means that the file will certainly be non-corrupt to start.

Following that, it is always worth using the "Check install media" option at the start of the live CD/USB that you use for installing, just to be sure it is OK.