PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ACER 5670 0verheating

renata.a
November 28th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Hi,

I am trying ubuntu maverick i686 release in an old acer 5670, but the laptop overheats really fast under load.
I also have windows, and I do not get the problem there. I ve noticed that the fan runs faster on Windows (I can hear it..)

I have searched a lot here, and tryed a lot of things, like acpi.power_nocheck, I have the latest bios from acer (bios for windows vista or something like that).

Oh, here is my THRM/trip_points file:

critical (S5): 97 C
passive: 93 C: tc1=2 tc2=3 tsp=40 devices=CPU0

I am not sure, but does it have no active trip points?

Also, I do not have battery anymore (it is an old laptop) and I opened it to clean the pipes (as I said, windows xp does not have this problem... it is HOT, but not OVERHOT :P)

Can anyone help me to run maverick smoothly?

Wobblybob
November 29th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Hi Mate I have the same lappy running Lynx as a server so can't help with Maverick. I found it started shutting down for no aparent reason and eventually found the processor temp got to 99+ and then died. I removed the plate over the fan and found it stuffed with dust etc. Once removed the temp on continous running is 40-50 and no shutdowns.

ibizatunes
November 29th, 2010, 03:15 PM
try a bios / firmware update, i had something similar and then it was fix with a firmware update.....

renata.a
December 3rd, 2010, 02:01 AM
Sorry guys,

I have cleaned the fan and pipes already, and I am using the latest bios avaliable, but these did not help at all.
Using windows I can hear fan running louder than maverick when the temperature is above 80 C

Any other suggestions?

SebSmith
December 3rd, 2010, 02:07 AM
Sorry guys,

I have cleaned the fan and pipes already, and I am using the latest bios avaliable, but these did not help at all.
Using windows I can hear fan running louder than maverick when the temperature is above 80 C

Any other suggestions?

did you disassemble your computer to clean the fan from the inside?

renata.a
December 3rd, 2010, 01:11 PM
did you disassemble your computer to clean the fan from the inside?

Yes I did.

Sometimes the fan starts to go faster early (like 70 C), but I could not find a pattern yet.