PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No connection with wireless network anymore

BCMerlin
November 28th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Since a few days i'm running Ubuntu on my laptop, so I'm very new in this. First day I had a wireless internet connection, but since yesterday I am not able to use wireless anymore and I don know why. Now I have a wired connection, but that's not my wish.

When I click in the icon above it tells me: "device not ready (firmware missing)".

Please tell me what to do.

mikewhatever
November 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Can you post the output of the following from Applications->Accessories->Terminal.

sudo lshw -class network

The output should show the wireless model, and whether or not the module is loaded.

BCMerlin
November 29th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Can you post the output of the following from Applications->Accessories->Terminal.

sudo lshw --class networkThe output should show the wireless model, and whether or not the module is loaded.

Here it is:

Hardware Lister (lshw) - B.02.14
usage: lshw [-format] [-options ...]
lshw -version

-version print program version (B.02.14)

format can be
-html output hardware tree as HTML
-xml output hardware tree as XML
-short output hardware paths
-businfo output bus information

options can be
-class CLASS only show a certain class of hardware
-C CLASS same as '-class CLASS'
-c CLASS same as '-class CLASS'
-disable TEST disable a test (like pci, isapnp, cpuid, etc. )
-enable TEST enable a test (like pci, isapnp, cpuid, etc. )
-quiet don't display status
-sanitize sanitize output (remove sensitive information like serial numbers, etc.)
-numeric output numeric IDs (for PCI, USB, etc.)

bazzal1941
November 29th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I think to give mikewhatever the information he needs you only need a single hyphen in front of class.

sudo lshw -class network

BCMerlin
November 29th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I think to give mikewhatever the information he needs you only need a single hyphen in front of class.

sudo lshw -class network

Like this?

*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:1b:38:e3:1e:7e
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.110 duplex=full firmware=sb v3.04 ip=192.168.1.33 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
resources: irq:46 memory:95200000-9520ffff
*-network
description: Network controller
product: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0
resources: irq:19 memory:94100000-94103fff
*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 2
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:1f:e1:2e:b3:eb
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=b43 driverversion=2.6.35-23-generic firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg

Sam Fallow
November 29th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Like this?

*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 2
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:1f:e1:2e:b3:eb
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=b43 driverversion=2.6.35-23-generic firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg

I'm going for the obvious here, but it though it detects the hardware it says 'network disabled'.
Have you turned it off?
For my laptop it's Fn+F11 to enable\disable.
It's an easy mistake to make and one I'm guilty of in the past.

BCMerlin
November 29th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I'm going for the obvious here, but it though it detects the hardware it says 'network disabled'.
Have you turned it off?
For my laptop it's Fn+F11 to enable\disable.
It's an easy mistake to make and one I'm guilty of in the past.

Fn+F11... euheuh where do I find that Fn button??? :oops:

BCMerlin
November 29th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Already found it... heheh, but it doesn't make a difference.

grahammechanical
November 29th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Try either left clicking the icon and selecting your wireless network form the list of available wireless networks. Or right click the icon and click Enable Networking to disable networking, then click it a second time to enable networking. If your wireless connection is set to Automatically connect it should search for the transmissions from the router/modem and connect.

If you have already tried this, then switch on wireless from the keyboard before you load Ubuntu. The OS will detect a functioning wireless network card/device and try to make a wireless connection with it to the wireless modem.

Regards.

BCMerlin
November 29th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Try either left clicking the icon and selecting your wireless network form the list of available wireless networks. Or right click the icon and click Enable Networking to disable networking, then click it a second time to enable networking. If your wireless connection is set to Automatically connect it should search for the transmissions from the router/modem and connect.
Tried this. When clicking left I can't click on the wireless option, actually it isn't an option. Under wireless networks is mentioned in grey "device not ready (firmware missing)".

When clicking right I see the wireless is already enabled.

If you have already tried this, then switch on wireless from the keyboard before you load Ubuntu. The OS will detect a functioning wireless network card/device and try to make a wireless connection with it to the wireless modem.
How do I switch on wireless from the keyboard? (and what's OS?)

mikewhatever
November 29th, 2010, 11:38 PM
You use the b43 driver which is known to have connection problems. Sometimes reloading the module helps temporarily.

sudo modprobe -r b43 && sudo modprobe b43

If you don't have to use b43, remove it, then switch to the STA driver.

BCMerlin
November 29th, 2010, 11:47 PM
You use the b43 driver which is known to have connection problems. Sometimes reloading the module helps temporarily.

sudo modprobe -r b43 && sudo modprobe b43If you don't have to use b43, remove it, then switch to the STA driver.
Hmmmmz ok... I wrote the code in terminal, but nothing happens.
I don't know what b43 is, neither STA driver. Can you explain me?

mmsmc
November 30th, 2010, 12:34 AM
when i do this it tells me that i am now disconnected
what do i do now

mikewhatever
November 30th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Hmmmmz ok... I wrote the code in terminal, but nothing happens.
I don't know what b43 is, neither STA driver. Can you explain me?

The code above just reloads the module with no output. B43 and STA are two drivers available for Broadcom wireless cards.
To switch to the STA driver, connect an ethernet cable and install the bcmwl-kernel-source package.

sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

A reboot it required after that.

BCMerlin
November 30th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Thanx. Before I switch:

How do I know I don't need the b43?
Why is b43 on my computer in the first place, when I don't need it? What is it doing?

BCMerlin
November 30th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I have working wireless again!
What I did was going to system>administration>additional drivers
I changed the driver and after rebooting my laptop the wireless is working. Yaay :D
Thank you all for the assists.

nooodles
November 30th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Quick add-in
I found this thread to help me out quite a bit.

Turns out that my fix was a problem of camouflage
Seams the WiFi activity light is also the enable/disable wifi button ](*,)

....you have to see the laptop to understand this oversight... *insert facepalm here*

grahammechanical
November 30th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Sorry. OS = Operating System (the software that runs on the computer).

Sometimes we change things like settings and the Operating System does not notice that things have been changed because it reads the configuration files when it boots - loads up - you switch on.

I was suggesting that by pressing the Fn + F11 button your wireless device on the motherboard will be switched on in hardware. Then when you load up the Operating System (Ubuntu) it will detect a working wireless device and switch on the parts that work wireless.

I do not have your problem because I have a desktop machine. The wireless hardware activates when I switch the machine on. As I understand laptops, you can disconnect the wireless part of the laptop to reduce battery power usage (by pressing the function key combination).

If you go to System>preferences>Startup Applications and chose the Options tab, you press the button Remember Currently Running Application. This might (I said might) help Ubuntu remember to switch on its wireless bits and pieces when you next switch on.

Regards.