PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WIFI and public networks

chicoharv
November 28th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I have 10.10 working on Ethernet and wireless om wifi secured systems if I know the ssid, but can't work on public networks. Dual boot windows vista works fine except I hate it. Is there any package that will find and allow my laptop to access public networks or is Ubuntu so secure it will not do this. I have an Acer laptop with an internal BCM4312 unfortunately. Any info or help would be appreciated.:(

grahammechanical
November 29th, 2010, 03:15 PM
My Ubuntu set up detects available networks that are in range. Before I brought a Wireless router my system would automatically connect to a neighbor's unsecured wireless network. Now, that I have subscribed to an ISP for broadband the system connects to my wireless router because that is the only wireless connection installed. I can still, if I want to, connect to any available unsecured wireless networks in range.

I do not understand why your set up cannot do the same. These public networks that you mention are they really unsecured? Or, are they public in the sense that anyone can connect to them but the connection is still encrypted or secured? If so, then you should research something called WPS or Wifi Protected Setup. I am not sure if Ubuntu is set up to do this. Perhaps this is taken care of by a Ubuntu edition that is designed for laptops or netbooks.

Regards