PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Unable to locate/format SSD

bluedalek
November 27th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Hi All

Just purchased and installed a Patriot 32GB SSD. I have had no luck in getting any *buntu OS installed.

I first started installing Kubuntu 10.04, and the installer located the drive fine. I partitioned it to /swap and /ext2. The installer started formatting the drive, then returned an I/O error.

The partitions were setup, but the ext2 partition was not formatted. I attempted to re-do it. Same I/O error.

I figured it could be a bad burn, so I tried another CD. I attempted to install Ubuntu 9.10, and it could not even see the drive. After following a number of steps on this, and other forums, I have the following to share below:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ls /dev/sd*
/dev/sda
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda
mke2fs 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
/dev/sda is entire device, not just one partition!
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
mkfs.ext2: No medium found while trying to determine filesystem size

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated!

coffee412
November 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Hi All

Just purchased and installed a Patriot 32GB SSD. I have had no luck in getting any *buntu OS installed.

I first started installing Kubuntu 10.04, and the installer located the drive fine. I partitioned it to /swap and /ext2. The installer started formatting the drive, then returned an I/O error.

The partitions were setup, but the ext2 partition was not formatted. I attempted to re-do it. Same I/O error.

I figured it could be a bad burn, so I tried another CD. I attempted to install Ubuntu 9.10, and it could not even see the drive. After following a number of steps on this, and other forums, I have the following to share below:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ls /dev/sd*
/dev/sda
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
mkfs.ext2: No medium found while trying to determine filesystem sizeAny help or pointers greatly appreciated!

mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda1

(your forgetting the partition)

bluedalek
November 27th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Your right, I did miss that, but now I get this:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda1
Could not stat /dev/sda1 --- No such file or directory

The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?

Not sure what to do now

bluedalek
November 28th, 2010, 05:44 AM
so it looks like I've bricked a 2nd one.. anyone have any thoughts?