View Full Version : [ubuntu] asic bug

November 27th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I will apologise in advance for this being very vague, but I was just wondering if this is something obvious or whether it is something that needs further investigation.

I have installed Ubuntu on my sisters computer as she was having lots of security issues with her windows setup, all has been well but she has just told me it has flashed up lots of stuff about virus's.

I haven't checked it out for myself yet but would like to go armed with a little knowledge before I do if that would be possible.

She has text me this morning and told me it is saying something about asic bug on startup.

I don't know whether this is a virus or a software bug and was hoping someone could give me a quick pointer before I pay her a visit.

Thanks in advance and please be gentle, I am a complete newbie to Ubuntu as far as delving inside it goes!

ps Without checking, I think the current version installed is 10.04

The Cog
November 27th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Are you sure it wasn't complaining about APIC? Something to do with power management not being quite right. That's not uncommon on laptops, and nothing serious. We really need to know the text of the complaint though.

November 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks for replying,

That does sound about right, it is a hp pavilion desktop though but it does run noisily, fan almost constantly on.

I asked her and she said it was definately asic so I think I should leave this for now until I can check it out myself then i'll come back for help when I know exactly what is going on with it.

Thanks again :)

November 27th, 2010, 03:42 PM
It is possible that there was an error message mentioning ASIC:

I would check for hardware related errors as well, especially printers, scanners and the like.

But, as The Cog already said, we need more information to offer any reasonable help.