PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange resolution changing... problem.

Raxzinator
November 27th, 2010, 05:48 AM
(Running 32-bit Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS on a Dell Inspiron 4150 -- wasn't sure if this should go here or in general help, but since this is a laptop I figured I should post it here just to be safe.)

I can't play any of my fullscreen games because they all want to change resolution when they do so. The problem with this is, when that happens everything on the screen gets all... well, it's hard to describe what it looks like, and just keeps getting more distorted until I'm just looking at a plain white screen. If I'm playing a game that can't be exited by simply mashing Esc or Alt+F4, the only way to fix this is to hard reboot the computer. Games that start in fullscreen by default are pretty much rendered unplayable.

I didn't get this problem until I upgraded to Ubuntu 10. This is a new install that did a complete reformat of my entire hardrive and it's less than 24 hours old so I doubt it's any weird settings, unless the default settings are weird. Oh, and it's not just games, when I tried to change resolution from the regular monitor settings the exact same thing happened.

I already looked up this problem and couldn't find anything relevant so I figured the only thing I could do was post on some forum and ask.

EDIT: As per usual AFTER I ask a question is when I get another idea to try. I haven't run the update manager yet, maybe one of the updates fixes this problem.

EDIT2: That did NOT fix it...