PDA

View Full Version : 10.10 netbook edition no place network button

kwalters
November 24th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I just downloaded and installed the netbook edition of 10.10

It installed OK, found my wireless adapter and allowed me to surf the internet. But I am totally unable to find the other computers on my home network.

I know the user interface has changed and I am not familiar with it. But after slaving over it for an entire evening, I am totally unable to work out how to do the equivalent of clicking on <places> then <network>

Can anyone help before I revert to the desktop version?

Thanks

Keith Walters

ajgreeny
November 25th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I just downloaded and installed the netbook edition of 10.10

It installed OK, found my wireless adapter and allowed me to surf the internet. But I am totally unable to find the other computers on my home network.

I know the user interface has changed and I am not familiar with it. But after slaving over it for an entire evening, I am totally unable to work out how to do the equivalent of clicking on <places> then <network>

Can anyone help before I revert to the desktop version?

Thanks

Keith Walters
Agreed! The unity desktop is a complete mess, and I couldn't find my way round it either.

I decided, like a lot of people, that it was not worth the hassle of trying any further, and went back to 10.04, thoigh I admit that I use the gnome desktop, not the UNE desktop on that.

You can keep 10.10 and simply choose the gnome (Ubuntu-desktop) desktop from the session menu at the login screen once you have selected the user. You do not need to install anything to use that; it's already on the system and I suspect that will bring you back to your comfort zone very quickly.

kwalters
November 25th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Many thanks. I am now back on 10.10 desktop which is working OK

KW