PDA

View Full Version : gaming on the eee pc 900 with ubuntu 10.04

federer2nadal
November 23rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
hi.
I have a question: I would like to play counter strike and I have 2 versions: source(full), and condition zero (portable version).
my question is :can I play those games on my asus eee pc 900 netbook with ubuntu 10.04 os installed.
If I can play please tell which one do you suggest more and if not than please tell me some alternatives for them.
(I ask mainly because of my specs, so I won't get my computer crashed).
ps: I know I can play them on wine so please pay attention for that.

hope to hear from you.

rizzeh
November 23rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
hi.
I have a question: I would like to play counter strike and I have 2 versions: source(full), and condition zero (portable version).
my question is :can I play those games on my asus eee pc 900 netbook with ubuntu 10.04 os installed.
If I can play please tell which one do you suggest more and if not than please tell me some alternatives for them.
(I ask mainly because of my specs, so I won't get my computer crashed).
ps: I know I can play them on wine so please pay attention for that.

hope to hear from you.

i wouldn't bother with either games. You might have some success with CS:CZ on windowsXP but wine will eat up a lot of resources on a very limited netbook system.

Counter Strike 2D? http://www.cs2d.com/index.php
Even that needs 16 mb 3D video card OpenGL support

federer2nadal
November 23rd, 2010, 09:30 PM
to rizzeh:
I could play cscz on windows xo very fast and smooth. it has 3d 64 mb graphic card. so maybe cscz. but anyway, will it work on wine or should I use virtualbox?

WienerWuerstel
November 23rd, 2010, 09:39 PM
Don't even bother trying to play CS:CZ on Linux with such a weak Hardware. It would only frustrate you.

RabidWeezle
November 24th, 2010, 09:41 AM
CS2D might not be as frustrating on a netbook. It has a linux port so no need for the wine.

on an eee pc, I think I would play...
diablo 2
starcraft
c&c
and perhaps some dosbox games.

Anything that would require me to get a headshot with those resolutions would drive me batty.

rizzeh
November 24th, 2010, 07:04 PM
to rizzeh:
I could play cscz on windows xo very fast and smooth. it has 3d 64 mb graphic card. so maybe cscz. but anyway, will it work on wine or should I use virtualbox?

well, if asked to play on wine or virtualbox i'd choose wine every time, but then i remember it's eeepc and will have to say again - don't bother.
I'd just play OpenTTD for days on this netbook :)

federer2nadal
November 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
cs cz portable works great with high fps. quick and smooth game without any bugs or glitches...