PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wifi connects but no internet (Driver problem?)

Davste
November 23rd, 2010, 08:41 AM
Let me start by saying that I am new to ubuntu, and that I always use forums as a last resort.

I installed ubuntu 10, and immediately after the Wifi card deected my network name, and actually connected to it, but then I opened up firefox and....no internet.

Since then I have been trying to fix this problem, and after some research I found out that my card (PCI Cwp-905) is RT2760 based, and I downloaded the linux RT2760 drivers for it.

The driver folder contained a readme file with commands you should enter to install it, and other setup files.
The problem: every command I typed in didn't work. I tried "make", and then "sudo make", but just got permission denied each time. I am now at a dead end. (Please note that I changed my directory to the folder location before doing this)

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? If you want I can attach the driver files. Thank you in advance for your help.

iponeverything
November 23rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
prefix your commands with "sudo"

i.e.

sudo make

etc.

Davste
November 23rd, 2010, 09:45 AM
Thank you for your reply. I already tried, sudo make and make gave me the exact same result, with the exception that sudo asked me for a password. I typed it in, then same thing :(
When I get home I will post the exact error.

Davste
November 23rd, 2010, 04:12 PM
Yes! I reinstalled Ubuntu, followed these instructions, and they worked like a miracle!
Internet is up and running and blazing fast!

Note: Internet did not work until restart
Note2: In step 8, I replaced

sudo cp rt2860sta.ko /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/drivers/staging/rt2860/ to

sudo cp rt2860sta.ko.dist /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/drivers/staging/rt2860/

Step 1
Download latest RT2860 driver source code from Ralink.

Step 2
Open and extract the downloaded file to your home directory - do not change the name.

Open a terminal window and perform the following commands:

cd ~/2010*
gedit ./os/linux/config.mk

Step 3
Find the following lines (by default set to "n") and set them to be "y":

HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y
HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y

Save and close the file.

Step 4
Back in the terminal window perform the following command:

gedit ./common/cmm_wpa.c

For the warning message choose "Western" then "Retry".

Use the find command to locate "MIX_CIPHER_NOTUSE". Replace the entire line with this code:

WPA_MIX_PAIR_CIPHER FlexibleCipher = WPA_TKIPAES_WPA2_TKIPAES;

Save and close the file.

Step 5
Make sure gcc is installed (usually is by default but if not install it via synaptic) then from the terminal window perform the following commands:

sudo make
sudo make install
sudo ifconfig wlan0 down (on some hardware it is ra0)
sudo rmmod rt2860sta
sudo mv /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/drivers/staging/rt2860/rt2860sta.ko rt2860sta.ko.dist

NOTE: Replace the * in the last command with the actual directory name of the current kernel (if you are unsure what it is, navigate to the directory in nautilus to check).

Step 6
Still in the terminal window perform the following commands:

sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe rt2860sta
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up (on some hardware it is ra0)

Step 7
Check that network manager can now select networks and connect to them.

Step 8
Back in the terminal window perform the following command:

sudo cp rt2860sta.ko /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/drivers/staging/rt2860/

NOTE: Replace the * in the last command with the actual directory name of the current kernel (if you are unsure what it is, navigate to the directory in nautilus to check).

Step 9
In the terminal window perform the following command:

gksudo gedit /etc/modules

Add "rt2860sta" on a line at the end of the file then save and close it.

Step 10
Reboot and check that wireless still works.

Credits go to scokem (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=889174) for these awesome instructions