PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] use nokia as modem

cold0zero
November 23rd, 2010, 01:32 AM
how i can use my nokia E52 as a modem in ubuntu 10.10 to surf net

in windows i use nokia pc suite and connect my phone by usb cable and connect

cold0zero
November 23rd, 2010, 03:42 AM
plz help i can't use internet only by my mobile and my 3G sim card and i don't have a 3G modem

cold0zero
November 23rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
no one answer me ?

SecretCode
November 23rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
DOes the E52 have a setting to enable internet sharing / modem?

When I connect my HTC Android phone to Ubuntu 10.10 and select "Internet sharing" in the phone's USB menu, it pops up as "Auto eth0" in Ubuntu (no settings required).

by the way, you should wait 24 hours before bumping your thread

dethorpe
November 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
I use an N95 in 9.10 and was basically plug and play.

Might be same for you if E52 is supported same way in Network Manager. These are the steps i used:

1 ) Connect Phone with USB, select PC Suite Mode on phone (even though you are not using PC suite as that is windows only).
2) Open Network Manager on Ubuntu, should show entry for mobile broadband.
3) Select Mobile broadband entry and use wizard to select details for network (i used vodafone)
4) Should now be able to select entry and connect to internet from network manager.

Hope that helps

cold0zero
November 24th, 2010, 02:18 PM
not work with me

quadra
December 11th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hi. On my Ubuntu 10.04, it worked, but I had to actively add the connection.
1) Connect Nokia E52 via usb cable. Select PC Suite mode(!)
2) **Right-click** network manager icon, **Edit connections** (or System - Preferences - Network connections)
3) Tab "Mobile Broadband" - Add. "Nokia E52" is shown in the list. Go through the wizard
4) Now, I could connect smoothly by enabling this broadband connection.

mosaic2s
December 12th, 2010, 05:41 PM
using 10.04.
Today I tried MTNL 3G Sim card. Worked without any issues.

Plugged in nokia E52 using pc suite mode. Network connections - mobile broadband. Selected operator. Thats it.
Tried Idea Cellular - non 3G - works ok.

Rikoos
December 13th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Same problem here BUT on my netbook the problem started after upgrading to 10.10

Connection works thru windows but on 10.10 it will not recognize my Nokia E60 while usb-devices shows it is connected thru USB.

Some how the network assistent will not use my Nokia 3G connection.

mosaic2s
December 13th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Use 10.04. It works. Will not trade it for fancy features for 10.10.

prat22
December 15th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I am strugling with samsung c3010. 10.04 doesnt eneble mobile broadband, every time I click to eneble, it disables automatically. I tried with kppp, but it hangs up after showing connecting to network.
Any ideas?
I am using Airtel 2g.

seydou
December 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM
not work with me

Well, Network manager does not work for me either, as I do not have it installed :-). Nonetheless, there is a sort of bullet-proof way how to connect, but you need to go down to the terminal window and fiddle in the terminal window. All you need is wvdial, so make sure you have it installed.

sudo apt-get install wvdial

1/ Connect the phone and switch to PC Suite
2/ Fire up terminal, and do

sudo su -

3/This brings you to root console. Now, check out what is going on with the kernel:

dmesg

Look for following lines

[ 331.939066] usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
[ 332.055474] cdc_acm 2-2:1.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[ 332.056465] cdc_acm 2-2:1.3: ttyACM1: USB ACM device

This is to say our modem has created a device /dev/ttyACM0. Alternative way to find it out is

ls /dev|grep ACM

4/ Open up /etc/wvdial.conf (if you do not know vim editor, learn it, it is a great tool)

vi /etc/wvdial.conf

and make sure it contains something like this:

[Modem1]
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Baud = 460800
SetVolume = 0
Dial ***mand = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
Init3 = ATM0
FlowControl = NOFLOW

[Dialer nokia]
Username = user
Password = password
Phone = *99#
Stupid Mode = 1
Init1 = ATZ
Inherits = Modem1

Check the username, password and phone number with your operator. Note that even if they do not require username and password, you can not leave those two items blank, so having it like this is just fine. Save the file and go connected.

4/ Configuration is persistent, the only thing you need to do (in root console) is

wvdial nokia

You should be live in a few secs, check out the console output, wvdial is pretty eloquent. The console is blocked by wvdial, so do not close it or you loose the connection. Open up firefox and check if you are online.

When you finished, just type Ctrl+C in the root console and the connection ends. Alternatively, you can fire up wvdial like this

wvdial nokia &

This puts it to the background and you can exit the console. Terminate the connection with

sudo killall wvdial

This way has many advantages to Network Manager, as you would have plenty of debugging info from either dmesg or wvdial.

If for example vwdial says no dial tone, change dial ***mand to ATXDT. The dial number might differ as well (could be #777 for example), so check with your operator for correct format.

Hope it helps.

waldherrvonbirnbaum
April 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM
with nokia 6600 fold it works great. i had to restart my nokia and everything was ok. i use ubuntu 11.10.
with bluetooth it also worked but it interrupted the co connection frequently. for checking mail and searching for a solution it was enough.