PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Karmic on HP Pavilion 563w

Harrison64
November 21st, 2010, 06:38 PM
I have an HP Pavilion 563w desktop running Jaunty. Jaunty's no longer receiving updates, so I was wondering if anyone familiar with running Ubuntu on this machine could tell me if:
1) everything "just works" after an upgrade to Karmic (and then maybe to Lucid), or
2) there is any way to continue receiving updates on Jaunty.

Hardware is Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.4GHz, w/ 512 MB RAM, and all other hardware is also unchanged from factory default.

All help is appreciated, so thanks in advance.

sikander3786
November 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM
I have no experience with that machine but I would suggest that you rather burn a disc for Karmic and try it out yourself with your hardware..

In fact, instead of Karmic, you should plan to some newer version such as Lucid or Maverick as support period for Karmic also is left less than 6 months only and you'll have to make the switch again.

If you plan to upgrade it all the way upto Lucid or Maverick, you definitely need to backup your data first, in case anything goes wrong.

A clean install would be better than anything if possible.

Harrison64
November 21st, 2010, 07:01 PM
Thank you, I had considered that, but just wanted to ask. You know, save a CD-R and all that. Anyway, I'll probably end up doing just what you said, when I get around to it.

...Btw, I agree with your signature, but I think Nintendo may play a role in that too. ;)

sikander3786
November 21st, 2010, 07:08 PM
Please let us know about your progress.

Yes nintendo will surely be forced to play its part in the next few years. Lets see :P

Good Luck!

Harrison64
November 21st, 2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks. I'll probably get around to it next weekend, at which point I will post back.

Harrison64
November 26th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I ran the upgrade to Karmic today, after making sure everything was backed up. Perhaps out of sheer laziness, I just ran the upgrade through the Update Manager. I'm very pleased with the results:

1) No flickery screen or any other such issues. It appears all hardware still "just works."
2) As always, third-party software sources were disabled, but were re-enabled just as easily.
3) Certain applications no longer supported by Canonical were removed, but re-installing their community-supported versions was a simple "apt-get install whatever" command.
4) I got an "Incomplete language support" message, which walked me through the steps of installing the missing language packs. It was your basic click-through-the-steps-accepting-the-changes deal. ;)

It seems as though HP machines are very compatible with Ubuntu, or at least all the desktops and printers I've worked with are.

sikander3786
November 27th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Feels good to know about your success :P

Now you can upgrade it once more and get to the LTS release 10.04 and then forget it for the next 3 years (if you prefer to).

Happy Ubuntu-ing!

Harrison64
November 27th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks, that's what I plan to do! :D