PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xrandr permanent settings

Mortesins93
November 21st, 2010, 12:17 PM
Hello,
I have an ASUS laptop with a monitor hooked up. The laptop's screen doesn't work so I wanted to switch it off and I found the code to do it:

sudo xrandr --output LVDS --off
Now how do I put this as a permanent setting? I don't want to write it in the terminal everytime I login.
Thank you in advance

IcarusR
November 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM
I believe you can use cron to run commands at boot. Not tried this myself though.
Create a script with your commands.
Edit the crontab with administrative privileges (see the section called "Root And Sudo"):

sudo crontab -e

Insert the following line:

@reboot /home/user/your-script

Replace /home/user/command with the full address to your script.
Save the file and exit.

Or add the path to your script to the end of /etc/rc.local.

/home/use/your-script

IcarusR
November 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Just tried putting my own xrandr settings in a script & tried both ways I mentioned above to run at boot. Both fail miserably.

Fafler
November 23rd, 2010, 01:33 PM
I don't know about your first suggestion, haven't used cron that way.

As for your second, place if after the line saying

do_start() {

But it is still bad practice, as this is a boot script and might be executed before X is up and running. In that case, the script fails silently.

A place to put it would be ~/.xinitrc
Follow this guide to do so and learn how it works: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CustomXSession

Or even better, from the terminal, do:

echo "sudo xrandr --output LVDS --off" | sudo tee /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70setoutput && sudo chmod +x /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70setoutput

Log out/in and enjoy ;-)

IcarusR
November 23rd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Fafler

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/70setoutput

Works, have put the whole command in it rather than use it to call a script.

Mortesins93
December 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
Fafler
I tried doing what you said but it doesn't work, so should the 70setoutput file exist already? If so, I don't have it. I created it and I wrote the command in it and I added the execution permission and it does not work. What kind of script should it be? Should I put the "#!/bin/bash" at top of the file?
It is not a big problem because i created a script with a launcher on my top bar, I just have to click on it to shut the screen off, it's not a big deal.
Thank you anyways