PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on Archos 101 and 70 tablets?

vs8
November 21st, 2010, 06:12 AM
I'm keeping close eye on these tablets, I'm thinking to pick one of those but I really need to know if I will be able to run Ubuntu on them.

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_70it/index.html?country=us&lang=en

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/index.html?country=us&lang=en

Both have ARM Cortex A8 processors.

Unity should really look good on those things!

janthonywj
November 21st, 2010, 09:24 AM
I'm definitely thinking of buying an Archos 101 for myself very soon. It supposedly just started shipping. I too would rather have Ubuntu Netbook Remix, or even Jolicloud on it. But Android is better than Windows 7.

Also, I want to know if these tablets are definitely going to get the 3.0 release of Android whenever it comes out. I think that release is supposed to enhance the tablet (bigger screen and res) UI.

These tablets also don't come with the Google market which should be a requirement for Android at all, but there are hacks.

I have a Viliv S10 now, and I've been working for DAYS and still don't even have WiFi working with Ubuntu on it. Before I assume I'll be putting Ubuntu on anything I'll have to hear of someone else's story. If these things have Marvell SD8686 SDIO Wifi chips, or Intel GMA500 chips, run away. However, I'm pretty sure neither will be on an Archos product, and since it already supports Android, there is a decent chance Ubuntu can be loaded.

wavesound
December 28th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I'm definitely thinking of buying an Archos 101 for myself very soon. It supposedly just started shipping. I too would rather have Ubuntu Netbook Remix, or even Jolicloud on it. But Android is better than Windows 7.

Also, I want to know if these tablets are definitely going to get the 3.0 release of Android whenever it comes out. I think that release is supposed to enhance the tablet (bigger screen and res) UI.

These tablets also don't come with the Google market which should be a requirement for Android at all, but there are hacks.

I have a Viliv S10 now, and I've been working for DAYS and still don't even have WiFi working with Ubuntu on it. Before I assume I'll be putting Ubuntu on anything I'll have to hear of someone else's story. If these things have Marvell SD8686 SDIO Wifi chips, or Intel GMA500 chips, run away. However, I'm pretty sure neither will be on an Archos product, and since it already supports Android, there is a decent chance Ubuntu can be loaded.

Hi
Just bought one for Christmas!!
Its a really annoying OS lots of hangs and crashes!
Really need a nice Linux on this, out the box will not play wav files or my mpeg stuff, emails to Archos through there site get no response at all.

They seem to have crippled the Android OS as it's fine on my HTC phone.
Blue tooth is kinda broken as well, cant mount the phone and see the Archos, and transfers via blue tooth are so slow. :confused:
Wifi seems fine at the moment.
So a nice Linux will be welcome on this.
Cheers
Bob