PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Two For One Thread--Compiz and File Browsing

MrJLBrown
November 20th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Rather than waste space by using two separate threads (unless that's preferred, in which case I will separate them henceforth) I have two questions.

First is that I remember back in my wubi days (oh, those were indeed fun...) I had installed an extra Compiz package which allowed me to deform the desktop cube into a sphere, and raise the desktop facing from the cube surface. I'd kinda like to use that again just for the glitz and glamor.

My second question is that I'd like to file browse more like (don't kill me) Windows Explorer where I can easily move and copy directories back and forth in panes. I achieved a similar effect in Nautilus using the second pane option, but I would like to make the additional pane to appear by default in all folders. Is here any such way, or maybe a different file manager, I can use to do this without having to do some tweaks I'd be uncomfortable making?

Thanks alot--I'm really enjoying the freedom Linux offers as I've experienced it since mid-July, and plan on being Ubuntu user for years to come.

uRock
November 20th, 2010, 03:52 AM
My second question is that I'd like to file browse more like (don't kill me) Windows Explorer where I can easily move and copy directories back and forth in panes. I achieved a similar effect in Nautilus using the second pane option, but I would like to make the additional pane to appear by default in all folders. Is here any such way, or maybe a different file manager, I can use to do this without having to do some tweaks I'd be uncomfortable making?
If you are wanting an address bar in Nautilus, then hit Ctrl+L or click Go in the tool bar, then click Location from the drop down menu.

P.S. It probably would have been more productive to start a separate thread on each subject. 8)

MrJLBrown
November 20th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Thanks--I'm still learning the ropes so I'll make separate threads for different problems. The address bar is a good start, but a persistent second pane could speed up my file management. I'm trying increase efficiency since I want to completely transition to Ubuntu.

uRock
November 20th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Thanks--I'm still learning the ropes so I'll make separate threads for different problems. The address bar is a good start, but a persistent second pane could speed up my file management. I'm trying increase efficiency since I want to completely transition to Ubuntu.
Ahh, you want double pane, hit F3 while in nautilus or click View, then select Extra Pane from the drop down menu.