PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Looking to purchase a netbook

hardyfan
November 20th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Can anyone advise problems or pitfalls ? Are there netbooks that work better out of the box with Ubuntu ? Is there a preffered / lighter flavour of Lynux for netbooks ? Is there a performance drop moving from notebook to netbook ?

Any pointers would be appreciated, I currently run Ubuntu 10.04 on a Dell Inspiron with mobile internet using a Huawei E160E modem and love it, but want to reduce weight for travelling.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

wilee-nilee
November 20th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Here is a link that might be helpful.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

Personally I have a acer aspire one D250, with the ram maxed to 2 gigs. I don't use the mic so I assume it works, same for the web cam, it shows it in cheese the webcam program. Otherwise every Ubuntu I have installed runs great, as well as archlinux, and a bunch of others in virtualbox. It was a cost of 299$US, so you get what you pay for so to speak. I did have the ethernet port go bad on me within the warranty, but because I had upgraded XP to W7 and had Ubuntu acer would not service it unless it had the original OS. I purchased the OEM XP re-installl discs, but just bought a usb adapter for the cord in the end.