PDA

View Full Version : joke thread in cafe, deleted? without reason?

Tristam Green
November 19th, 2010, 10:04 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1625856

To The Staff:

If I may ask, why was my joke thread deleted? Nothing incendiary about it, no trolling, just a reposted joke from Engadget, which I actually found *very* funny, and topical to boot, given lots of Cafe posters' unorthodox views regarding Microsoft's CEO.

Have we gotten so serious here that we can't take a silly joke?

Respectfully,
TG

KiwiNZ
November 19th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Whilst I appreciate the humor and I do, but personal views put aside we must conduct the site for the greater good.

Our Code of Conduct states... "Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them." Your post is seen as being contrary to this and likely to cause Flame attacks etc.

Therefore to maintain the spirit of the Cafe ("Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!") your post was removed.

Tristam Green
November 19th, 2010, 10:15 PM
see, a PM along those lines would have been *awesome*.

it was posted in good jest, and an almost direct repost of an article from engadget, but hey -- you have your job to do, and I am down with that.

evidently kid gloves need be worn all the time, even when telling jokes.

bodhi.zazen
November 19th, 2010, 10:16 PM
OS bashing, Windows or otherwise, is inappropriate, even if presented as "joke".

Tristam Green
November 19th, 2010, 10:19 PM
/facepalm. It was a repost of a caption contest. It was not making fun of Microsoft, Windows, Steve himself, or anything related to Operating systems.

It was making fun of a silly angle-shot with a point-and-shoot at a ribbon-cutting ceremony.

No more, no less, than laughing at this:

http://www.reviewstl.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/national-geographic-vacation-squirrel.jpg

However, I apologize for potentially touching a nerve.

KiwiNZ
November 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I take your point about the PM and yes that would have been appropriate manners and I apologise for not doing that I did not intend any slight in that it was just an oversight on my behalf.

Tristam Green
November 19th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I take your point about the PM and yes that would have been appropriate manners and I apologise for not doing that I did not intend any slight in that it was just an oversight on my behalf.

no harm no foul, kiwinz.

Joeb454
November 19th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Regarding the PM comments - I agree, a PM would have been good. And most times a thread is removed, we do PM the user who posted it to explain this. However, as evidenced from KiwiNZ's post above, it's all too easy to get distracted and forget.

Regarding the actual thread - I agree with it being removed, because the nature of the image and it's associated caption contest are very much a sensitive area for a number of people. In general, I'm not opposed to threads like that being posted (i.e. the squirrel etc.)