PDA

View Full Version : Pulling information from system commands

msjones
November 19th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hi,

Is there any way to grep information from the output of system commands. For example I want to pull the amount of free system memory from the free command:

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3017 848 2169 0 97 363
-/+ buffers/cache: 386 2631
Swap: 7628 0 7628

I want to be able to pull the top columns and first row from the table.

Can this be done?

Arndt
November 19th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Hi,

Is there any way to grep information from the output of system commands. For example I want to pull the amount of free system memory from the free command:

I want to be able to pull the top columns and first row from the table.

Can this be done?

Is this what you want?

$ free | head -2
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3026500 2639152 387348 0 346092 1090280
$

msjones
November 20th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Exactly what I was looking for thank you very much.

Is there anyway to select just the free column?

spjackson
November 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Exactly what I was looking for thank you very much.

Is there anyway to select just the free column?
Here's one way.

free | head -2 | sed 's/Mem://' | awk '{print $3}'

msjones
November 20th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Here's one way.

free | head -2 | sed 's/Mem://' | awk '{print $3}'

Thank you very much. Can you explain how this works, I'd like to get a grasp on it so I can apply it to other things.

spjackson
November 20th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Thank you very much. Can you explain how this works, I'd like to get a grasp on it so I can apply it to other things.
awk '{print $3}' outputs only the third column, where each column is separated by one or more spaces. However, by this definition, we want the 3rd column from the 1st line and the 4th column from the second line. Therefore the sed command throws away the first column consisting of "Mem:" so that from what we feed into awk, we now want the 3rd column from each line.

msjones
November 20th, 2010, 01:27 PM
awk '{print $3}' outputs only the third column, where each column is separated by one or more spaces. However, by this definition, we want the 3rd column from the 1st line and the 4th column from the second line. Therefore the sed command throws away the first column consisting of "Mem:" so that from what we feed into awk, we now want the 3rd column from each line.

Thats brilliant, thanks dude. Your help is much appreciated!

Arndt
November 20th, 2010, 01:50 PM

For the commands mentioned, look at their manual pages: do "man sed", "man awk", "man head".