PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Grub Rescue after attempted dualboot install (Somewhat green user)

serkit_ant
November 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I have dabbled with ubuntu before and I somewhat know my way around a computer pretty well. I am not new to dual booting, as I have done it before. I am however new to the concept of working with netbooks or laptops in general and don't really know Linux too well. Until now, I have only dealt with desktops.

I recently received an Asus Eee PC 1005HAB netbook loaded with Win XP Home with a 160gig Hd. I decided to get back into playing around with Linux and decided to put EasyPeasy distro onto a 2gig SD card with Unetbootin. After deciding that I liked the distro, I went abouts installing it as a second OS in a new partition because I don't want to lose what I have in XP (itunes, photos, ect.) Installation went without a hitch, and I was able to boot up EasyPeasy once from the harddrive after reboot from installation. Anytime after that I would get error: no such partition grub rescue>.

After searching the forums and finding that I am not the only one with this error after an install, I tried to find out what I could do about it. Since I didn't find anyone with the same exact problem, I decided to join the forums and ask about my own specifics.

I think the problem is some kind of boot problem with the partitions and something to do with the bootloader. If it wasn't for the live SD card, I wouldn't have any kind of OS to work with. I ran the boot_info_script55.sh in terminal and this is what I got:

Boot Info Script 0.55 dated February 15th, 2010

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive in
partition #5 for /boot/grub.
=> Syslinux is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb

sda1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows XP
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System: Windows XP
Boot files/dirs: /boot.ini /ntldr /NTDETECT.COM

sda2: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: Windows XP: Fat32
Operating System:
Boot files/dirs: /ntldr /NTDETECT.COM

sda3: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system:
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed:
mount: unknown filesystem type ''

sda4: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system:
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed:

sdb1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: Fat32
Operating System:
Boot files/dirs:

=========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sda1 * 63 204,052,174 204,052,112 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 302,246,910 312,496,379 10,249,470 1c Hidden W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda3 312,496,380 312,576,704 80,325 ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
/dev/sda4 204,052,478 302,245,887 98,193,410 15 Unknown

Drive: sdb ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sdb: 2028 MB, 2028994560 bytes
55 heads, 54 sectors/track, 1334 cylinders, total 3962880 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sdb1 * 251 3,962,879 3,962,629 6 FAT16

blkid -c /dev/null: __________________________________________________ __________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
/dev/sda1 7AE0A82DE0A7EE17 ntfs
/dev/sda2 CCED-990E vfat PE
/dev/sda3: PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda4: PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda: PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sdb1 E0A2-163C vfat
/dev/sdb: PTTYPE="dos"

============================ "mount | grep ^/dev output: ===========================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

aufs / aufs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 /cdrom vfat (ro,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,i ocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)
/dev/sda1 /media/7AE0A82DE0A7EE17 fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)

================================ sda1/boot.ini: ================================

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetectSince I am new, this is all a learning experience for me. Any help would be awesome as to what the next steps would be.

dino99
November 17th, 2010, 11:51 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1622212

serkit_ant
November 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I had read that thread before I decided to make my own asking about my personal situation. I had also read not to hijack another thread with my own problem, even if the issues were similar. I appreciate the effort, but it didn't help very much.

I think the EasyPeasy install is on sda4. Now do I put grub2 on sda1 or sda4? Or do I want to use just plain grub?

kansasnoob
November 18th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I've never used Easy Peasy but I see it's Ubuntu derived, anyway something is very wrong with the installation:

sda3: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system:
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed:

sda4: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system:
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed:

Also it shows grub 2 looking at sda5 which doesn't exist:

=> Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive in
partition #5 for /boot/grub.

So please do me a favor and post the output of:

sudo parted /dev/sda print

It may provide a bit more info about the existing partitions.

Next I'd use the Live USB to create a Windows readable mbr:

sudo apt-get install lilo

sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

sudo apt-get remove lilo

Then simply see if Windows will boot under it's own power, hopefully it will.

I may have to study Easy Peasy a bit :)

serkit_ant
November 18th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I put in the command and this was the output:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted /dev/sda print
Model: ATA ST9160314AS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 160GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 104GB 104GB primary ntfs boot
4 104GB 155GB 50.3GB primary
2 155GB 160GB 5248MB primary fat32 hidden, lba
3 160GB 160GB 41.1MB primary

kansasnoob
November 19th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Well, I don't see Ubuntu installed at all, and you have 4 primary partitions which is the limit.

Did you try restoring a Windows readable mbr as instructed?

I really don't know what to do next :confused:

serkit_ant
November 20th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Do I want to put the mbr in sda1 or just in sda or do I put it in the sda4 partitiion. I did the lilo install and during the install it said something about /sbin/lilo. I am so confused....

oldfred
November 20th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Partitions sda3 & sda4 look like they are mislabeled or changed somehow. You do not have an efi partition nor type 15 unknown.

I would try testdisk and see if it says the partitions were something else and if so let testdisk write corrections.

enable the "universe" repository to download testdisk
System>Administration>Software Sources>Ubuntu Software.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
repairs including testdisk info & links
http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p21.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery#Lost%20Partition

kansasnoob
November 20th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Do I want to put the mbr in sda1 or just in sda or do I put it in the sda4 partitiion. I did the lilo install and during the install it said something about /sbin/lilo. I am so confused....

Well there are three commands (as shown in post #4):

sudo apt-get install lilo

sudo apt-get remove lilo

Maybe lilo is not available in EP's repos :confused:

I really don't have hardware that would work with EP so I can't be sure.

Incomplete messages such as "during the install it said something about /sbin/lilo" really tell us nothing. Which command showed that?

Also, you're asking, "Do I want to put the mbr in sda1 or just in sda or do I put it in the sda4 partitiion" and you can see from this command:

It's sda!

Did you copy-n-paste the commands?

serkit_ant
November 28th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Well I used testdisk to delete all the partitions except the windows recovery partition. I installed easypeasy without making new partitions. I can boot the recovery partition if needed and install windows, but I don't need to right now. I got all my important stuff (music, photos, etc.) backed up so I didn't lose everything that I wanted to save anyways, except for maybe iTunes for my itouch. I am just going to figure out a way to do it all in linux. It shouldn't be to difficult. I am starting to get the hang of using the terminal more.:)