PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] backup before upgrade, best way

railz68
November 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I am currently on Hardy 8.04. I want the latest ubuntu version, but had a bad experience with the last update, hence the version I am on (upgrade fear). Just stuck with, everything works. I kinda need to update now.

Whatever went wrong last time, I did backup /home and had to do fresh install. However, after copying everything back to /home, I had a nightmare of permission issues with nearly all files/folders.

I plan to backup /home again, but is there a "proper" way of doing it so that I can be backup and running as easily as possible ?.

Nothing on the hardware end will change, I will try to update, and if it fails (like last time), I will install fresh. I will setup user name and password the same.

anyhow, if anyone can tell me best, or proper way of backing up /home with restore in mind, thank you.

cybergnome
November 18th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Take a look at Partimage.

Mark Phelps
November 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Partimage, while it will work with 8.04, will not work with the newer Ext4-filesystem-based distros. So, if you use this, you use a product that can't be used to backup/restore your new install.

Clonezilla, on the other hand, works with old and new filesystem formats. Look into using that instead.