PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to the Simplicity of Ubuntu, and Wammu.

Sean Moran
November 16th, 2010, 12:19 PM
On Sunday I went to the Happy DTAC store to add another 100 hours onto my Internet quota for 200 baht, and the silly man at the shop stuffed up and added it onto the telephone prepaid account. You can't make phone calls from an aircard, so I transferred the money onto my Nokia and yesterday went looking around for a new ISP for my mobile broadband. I found AIS which is not cheap but the shop assistant I dealt with yesterday hasn't stuffed me around yet.

The reason to say thanks is for Wammu. I've been stuffing around since yesterday trying to access the AIS website to check on my account balance and see what's going on, but they insist on this thing the call a One Time Password, and when you get to the site and click on the button for this One Time Password, they send it to you via SMS and it only works for 15 minutes.

I tried and I tried but I can't logout of Linux and back into XP to retrieve the SMS that the Alpha 9000 USB modem has the Windows software for SMS over an aircard, and then back into Ubuntu to get back to the website to enter this elusive One Time Password in the space of 15 minutes. The darned aircard connection speeds are just too slow and the AIS website is clogged with rubbish.

So after all these hours of trial and error-error-error, I opened the software centre, typed the letters SMS in the search box, and went with Wammu. It's beautiful. Now I can login to check on my account balance by using Wammu to receive the SMS messages that AIS send to my aircard modem.

Goes to show that Linux can do anything you want to do if you are lucky enough to pick the right course to take to find the solution. Thanks Linux. Thanks Ubuntu. Thanks Wammu.