PDA

View Full Version : [PPC] No video on boot of install cd (Powermac G4 MDD, 877mhz, Geforce4 MX)

besby11
November 12th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Hello everyone,

In an attempt to revive this sexy beast, I'm trying to install the community version of Ubuntu 10.10 for ppc on my old MDD G4. I burned the CD and got it to boot and whatnot, but it gets to a point and the video stops displaying, the monitor goes dead and stops receiving a signal. This happens right after you are allowed to select boot options, it goes to a white screen with some text, after that boom, gone. If that wasn't weird enough get this, the rest of the machine goes on it's merry way booting. I can even hear the Ubuntu chime over the speakers as if it was booted and ready to go. I've looked around but can't find a definitive answer to why this is. The graphics card is a Geforce4 MX series. This is an older card so I would think it would be supported. Anyway thanks!

Hunter Baker

linuxopjemac
November 12th, 2010, 11:13 AM
You might want to switch to the nv driver instead of the standard nouveau.
Have a look at some xorg.conf files at:
http://mac.linux.be/content/xorgconf-files

besby11
November 12th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Alright, well how would I get at the xorg.conf file if I cannot get video on the screen past yaboot. I've tried getting into the terminal but I can't even do that. Is there any solutions I can enter at the yaboot prompt?

linuxopjemac
November 13th, 2010, 12:45 AM
you could try

video=ofonly

besby11
November 13th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Yea I've tried that, after the yaboot on ether tries I get a white screen with some text about expanding trees or something. Is there anyway to edit the xorg before I burn the ISO so that it uses the correct one?

linuxopjemac
November 13th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Go for the alternate install, without GUI.

harlock59
July 28th, 2012, 04:00 AM
At yaboot screen type live nouveau.modeset=0

Wild Man
July 28th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Hi, this is an old thread so it has been closed, please do not post in threads that are a year or more old, and thanks for sharing.