PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows 7 security Ubuntu Linux security ?

ontherooftop
November 11th, 2010, 03:12 PM
According to some hacker named Charlie Miller, he claims it's easier
to hack into Linux than windows 7. He claims Windows 7 when using IE8 or
google Chrome as browsers with Flash disabled is the most secure way to surf the net. Isn't google chrome also on Linux? and who would wanna surf the internet without flash? Also this guy is going around the internet saying hacking Linux is easier than hacking, windows 7 and windows 7 is more secure??? Anyone here wanna weigh in on all the other security issues Mr. Miller is missing, like Ubuntu's Sudo access security or faster updates?? Seems like he is getting paid.

He is mostly going around saying how mac is much more unsecure than windows but when I heard Linux, I knew he
had to be getting paid also he said it depends on the distro ( did he test all 500?) Many people can just make
their own Linux distro.

OpSecShellshock
November 11th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Have you by chance got a link to the source? I mean, there are certainly circumstances under which some of these statements could be seen as true (with any number of qualifiers).

To be honest, where intrusion is concerned, the OS is simply one of many things to build into the plan. Discussing it in the abstract makes no sense. Any OS can be intruded upon with enough effort. Mostly it comes down to the legitimate user (which isn't really very good news).

psusi
November 11th, 2010, 04:09 PM
This one guy said this regally vague platitude this one time. Is it true?

Seriously, you can't discuss vague generalities.

CharlesA
November 11th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Link to the source would be nice.

Judging from a quick google, he is a security researcher, so he works on exploits and most of the explots I've seen deal with flash and privlage escalation.

Makes sense not to use flash, but most of the stuff on Web 2.0 is flash based, so that's not exactly a simple thing to do.

But yeah, generalizations = fail.

ontherooftop
November 11th, 2010, 04:12 PM
You can google this guy and type Linux and the funny thing is he is a mac hacker and claims he never hacked Linux and still says Linux is probably easier than windows 7 to hack. Just google this guy and he says probably which means he is unsure.

Yeah how fun is it to go online without Flash lol. Also whenever I hear about Firefox holes on the net or news, they only
affect windows machines. He claims windows 7 with IE8 and Google chrome is the safest, I am sure using Firefox, Google Chrome or Konquerer in Ubuntu is much safer. He is this mac hacker who won some pwn2own contests in finding bugs and exploits and windows and mac where hacked and Linux from what I know did not get hacked in the previous years in the contest and I think they removed linux from the contest this year most likely because it wouldn't get hacked again. Just don't log as root only when really needed. But I think this guy is getting a pay off, If he claims this then he should demonstrate the hack on linux (which he hasn't and probably can't). Maybe using Konquerer and Google chrome on Linux would be the safest, but I got so many great add ons that I need on firefox.

CharlesA
November 11th, 2010, 04:17 PM
You can google this guy and type Linux and the funny thing is he is a mac hacker and claims he never hacked Linux and still says Linux is probably easier than windows 7 to hack. Just google this guy and he says probably which means he is unsure.
You mean this (http://www.thechromesource.com/charlie-miller-most-secure-browser-is-chrome-ie8/) article? Or maybe this (http://www.oneitsecurity.it/01/03/2010/interview-with-charlie-miller-pwn2own/) article? Second one is better imo.

The browser is independent of the OS, and tbh, the browser is one of the most vulnerable parts of a desktop OS. AppArmor and SELinux help mitigate some of that risk, as do addons like NoScript.

ontherooftop
November 11th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Yes and don't us Linux users have Noscript on our browsers by default?

CharlesA
November 11th, 2010, 04:23 PM
There are no addons installed by default into Firefox.