PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] accessing a thecus n2100 from xubuntu 10.04+

gmknobl
November 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I've cc'd this from the Absolute beginner talk. I'm still a beginner but this is obviously a network question.

I installed XUbuntu finally. I upgraded the box to 512 MB RAM and replaced the HD with an 80 Gig model with 2MB buffer. (see original thread - about installing ubuntu on a dell dimension 4300s) I think the greatest slow down for this computer, aside from the buses the motherboard uses is likely the video which is an ATI 128 Rage Pro. I'd like to find a suitable upgrade that won't tax the 180 watt power supply. It's AGP of course.

But my main question now is about accessing stuff on the network. It connects to the web just fine, video is SLOW and buffers frequently (see above - a similar problem occurred in XP on this computer too). However, at my home I'm running a Thecus N2100 NAS. Under its native firmware I have a few shares such as a regular file share for file so I can back up from my windows or OS/X computers and an iTunes share for music. It's not a fast unit but it gets the job done.

I've found that I don't see a darned thing, not even a listing the for the n2100. I did some reading and found I should run the gigolo program to look at the network. It couldn't find anything either. It listed I have no shares on my windows network.

What gives? What should I use to get the NAS listed? I'd rather not turn samba on if I don't have to. Would that be the necessary step? Is there some other way of seeing the shares the thecus already has?