PDA

View Full Version : 400mHz iMac won't start properly

Tiz_earth
November 7th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I have a 400mHz clear blue iMac here that I recieved from a friend. It was being used by an art center to display one letter as part of a sign. For some stupid reason, they put Debian on there for that. Whatever.

I wanted to put some type of linux on it (not sure yet what kind) but since the Ubuntu Forums are awesome, I figured I'd use this resource instead of signing up for something new.

When I plug in the iMac and press the power button, it lights up with a green LED. Next, I hear the CRT screen power up. (with that nice satisfying crackle) followed by a loud, "Boop!" I do not see the screen light up, nor does it react to a keyboard, mouse, or monitor hooked up with the VGA on the back. It takes CDs in (which I found out) but does not give them back. (so rude.)

I am so confused. Normally, I'd have an error message to examine or something, but this is the strangest thing.

Nonmouse
November 7th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Sounds more like hardware issues than software. Strange popping sounds are usually not good in my book.

Tiz_earth
November 7th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Sounds more like hardware issues than software. Strange popping sounds are usually not good in my book.

popping sounds? Boop is a sound that comes out of the speakers.

Legal Beagle
November 7th, 2010, 07:06 PM
popping sounds? Boop is a sound that comes out of the speakers.

You might have a hardware issue as described above:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9573213

What you describe sounds like a failure of the analog video board. This is the component that powers and supplies the high voltage needed to operate the CRT display. The specific part on the board that usually fails first is called the flyback transformer. Because of the failure, the iMac does not pass the internal startup self-test, and shuts off.

That "boop" sound is a diagnostic noise.. From what you're describing, I think you have your culprit.