PDA

View Full Version : Loops with .sh

Reddoug
November 6th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Hi All

Trying to figure out how I can accomplish this. What I have will put out N is 1 through 99. Have been trying to find something similar and try and figure this out without any luck.

Thanks, Doug

#!/bin/sh
echo -n "Try and guess a number between 1 and 99"
echo -n "Enter a number: "
read number
N=1
while [ "$N" -le 99 ]
do
echo N is $N
N=`expr $N + 1`
done

Arndt
November 6th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Hi All

Trying to figure out how I can accomplish this. What I have will put out N is 1 through 99. Have been trying to find something similar and try and figure this out without any luck.

Thanks, Doug

#!/bin/sh
echo -n "Try and guess a number between 1 and 99"
echo -n "Enter a number: "
read number
N=1
while [ "$N" -le 99 ]
do
echo N is $N
N=`expr $N + 1`
done

What is it that you want to do?

Reddoug
November 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hi
I am wanting to guess a number between 1 and 99. Tell the player they are to low or high or correct. I have been reading different books but can not figure out about to high or low.

Thanks, Doug

Arndt
November 7th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hi
I am wanting to guess a number between 1 and 99. Tell the player they are to low or high or correct. I have been reading different books but can not figure out about to high or low.

Thanks, Doug

I suggest you write some pseudocode first, that simply expresses the logic, and then put it into a particular language, sh in this case. Pseudocode can look any way you want, as long as it expresses what you want.

You have one number X which is the number to guess, and a number Y which the user inputs as a guess, and which varies. The program compares X and Y and says whether Y is high or low, and then reads a new Y.

How is X generated to begin with?

What books did you read on the subjects?

Crazedpsyc
November 7th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I suggest this method to get a random number:

RANGE=99
echo
number=$RANDOM
let "number %= $RANGE"
echo "$number"

Put that in your while loop to generate a random number from 1 to 99 each time

Reddoug
November 8th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Linux Pocket Guide, Classic Shell Scripting, and Unix & Linux are books I have been reading. I will try the suggestions.

Thanks, Doug

Reddoug
November 10th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Hi

Found a random number generator to generate two digit number.

RANDOM=`date+%N \ cut -c8-`

Thanks, Doug