PDA

View Full Version : Where to place icons for Indicator Applet?

lampak
November 6th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I'm writing a program which is supposed to show an icon in the Indicator Applet.

The indication is created in C like this:

/* Indicator */
indicator = app_indicator_new ("example-simple-client",
"indicator-messages",
APP_INDICATOR_CATEGORY_APPLICATION_STATUS);

where "indicator-messages" is a name of a sample icon. Icons seem to be stored in /usr/share/icons/<theme>/scalable/status/*.svg (and some other subfolders).

This <theme> is the problem. Writing my app I don't know what a theme the user will use. Is there a place where I can place my icons so that they will be available globally?

EDIT: I've already tried /usr/share/icons/gnome and hicolor. Doesn't work. My app shows the icon properly only if it's in the theme folder.

worksofcraft
November 7th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I'm writing a program which is supposed to show an icon in the Indicator Applet.

The indication is created in C like this:

/* Indicator */
indicator = app_indicator_new ("example-simple-client",
"indicator-messages",
APP_INDICATOR_CATEGORY_APPLICATION_STATUS);

where "indicator-messages" is a name of a sample icon. Icons seem to be stored in /usr/share/icons/<theme>/scalable/status/*.svg (and some other subfolders).

This <theme> is the problem. Writing my app I don't know what a theme the user will use. Is there a place where I can place my icons so that they will be available globally?

EDIT: I've already tried /usr/share/icons/gnome and hicolor. Doesn't work. My app shows the icon properly only if it's in the theme folder.

I put my icons in:
/usr/share/pixmaps
because desktop and applications menus seem to find them there automatically

lampak
November 7th, 2010, 09:13 AM