PDA

View Full Version : What type of tooltip is this? And how can i do it?

hakermania
November 6th, 2010, 12:41 AM
If you set a tooltip on something ( for example a trayicon ) it will look like this:

(See first image)

But if you go on Ubuntu at the clock ( and every tooltip on ubuntu general) that will be shown:

(See second image)

So is this a different type of a tooltip or something? ( Differences: Transparency and angles )

P.s
I am setting the tooltip with this:

ui->Button->setToolTip("Start Operation");

loell
November 6th, 2010, 12:46 AM
i think it's libnotify or its successor if it was recently preceded.

hakermania
November 6th, 2010, 12:53 AM
i think it's libnotify or its successor if it was recently preceded.

libnotify is a notify which pops-up at the right.. it isn't that
there must be a new type of tip on ubuntu... because setTooltip is black while everything on ubuntu is transperant ones...

nvteighen
November 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
It may be a tooltip of a GtkStatusIcon (http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/2.14/GtkStatusIcon.html) or something along the way (a full-fledged GtkTooltip). Anyway, it is a regular GTK+ tooltip: it looks different because of the theme you're using: in my Debian GNU/Linux installation, they look exactly the same as every toolkit everywhere:

hakermania
November 6th, 2010, 05:20 PM
It may be a tooltip of a GtkStatusIcon (http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/2.14/GtkStatusIcon.html) or something along the way (a full-fledged GtkTooltip). Anyway, it is a regular GTK+ tooltip: it looks different because of the theme you're using: in my Debian GNU/Linux installation, they look exactly the same as every toolkit everywhere:

I do not think that this is it... it must be something else...

loell
November 7th, 2010, 12:14 PM
libnotify is a notify which pops-up at the right.. it isn't that

it can pop-up anywhere. if one wants to. ;)

hakermania
November 7th, 2010, 02:37 PM

hakermania
November 7th, 2010, 02:39 PM

hakermania
November 7th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Yes but this isn't what i want... I want something that does exactly what tooltip is doing but instead of having a black background to have a transparent one exactly like all the "tooltips" at ubuntu.. :confused::confused::confused:

Sorry for double-posts... my wrong..

loell
November 7th, 2010, 11:40 PM
looking at it again closely, I think nvteighen is right.

it's a GtkStatusIcon widget, you might perceive them as two entirely different widgets because the first image you posted is running on a none composited desktop while compositing is enabled on the second image, giving the widget an auto-transparency and rounded corner effects.