PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Server (Ubuntu)

GreenDance
November 5th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Hi, I've ordered a dedicated server with Ubuntu (of course :KS), it's for business use as I'm starting up a small business, I plan on selling webhosting, but I was wondering what other services I could offer on my server, both for free and paid-for.

Thank You :KS

I plan to donate some hosting to the Ubuntu-UK Podcast :popcorn:
(Hope they will accept my donation) :)

WRDN
November 5th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Although it is targeted at developer work, you could host repositories (subversion/git) for people - see http://unfuddle.com/

It is interesting you are setting up a business server with Ubuntu on it. Although it's a good distribution (which I use for my personal server), I would expect a person to use a more stable distribution (e.g. Debian) for servers.

Sporkman
November 5th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I would expect a person to use a more stable distribution (e.g. Debian) for servers.

I disagree - I've found Ubuntu Server to be a rock-solid server distro.

FuturePilot
November 5th, 2010, 01:10 AM

I would have to agree.

CharlesA
November 5th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I would have to agree.

+2.

If you don't want to run Ubuntu on a server, there are plenty of other distros you can use.

GreenDance
November 5th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Although it is targeted at developer work, you could host repositories (subversion/git) for people - see http://unfuddle.com/

I have made a note of that, Thank You.

It is interesting you are setting up a business server with Ubuntu on it. Although it's a good distribution (which I use for my personal server), I would expect a person to use a more stable distribution (e.g. Debian) for servers.

I Love Ubuntu, it's out-standing, it's fantastic, can't fault it.

I agree, no problems when I've been using it.

Power to Ubuntu :KS

GreenDance
November 5th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Something I forgot to ask, would I be allowed to show the ubuntu logo on my site saying "Powered by: Ubuntu".

Thank You.

themarker0
November 5th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Image hosting, forum hosting (multiforum script), stuff like that. If you need with the latter shoot me a PM :P.

Edit:

Something I forgot to ask, would I be allowed to show the ubuntu logo on my site saying "Powered by: Ubuntu".

Thank You.

Yes you would i believe.

NCLI
November 5th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I would have to agree.
+1

I use Ubuntu 10.04 for my server, and I am very satisfied. 5 year cycles are fine with me.

NightwishFan
November 5th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Same. I would think of nothing else (other than Debian, which is my awesome second choice) to run my servers with. Even over Cent OS.

robsoles
November 5th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Same. I would think of nothing else (other than Debian, which is my awesome second choice) to run my servers with. Even over Cent OS.

+1

I've converted my work to Ubuntu running Samba as DC to drop Server2003 - my Boss and our chief Electronics Engineer are my two biggest converts, Boss says Microsoft will not get another penny from him or his business.

GreenDance
November 5th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I was wondering, how could I reduce the risk of people abusing my free services?

Thank You

aeiah
November 5th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I was wondering, how could I reduce the risk of people abusing my free services?

Thank You

it depends what free services you offer. most free shell providers don't allow background processes, for instance, and cap bandwidth to stop people tuneling hulu / iplayer etc.

most storage cloud providers likewise will cap bandwidth

aeiah
November 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM
incidentally, i built our companies webserver and backup server, both running ubuntu 10.04. they're the most stable machines we have (although the others are windows ...)

GreenDance
November 5th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Thank you for the feedback :).

Does anyone have anymore suggestions please :).

Thank You. :KS

Verbeck
November 5th, 2010, 10:08 PM
ftp/image hosting (might be useless though)