PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Macbook Pro Boot Time (VERY SLOW)

vsh3r
November 4th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Hi,

How do I speed up the Macbook Pro boot time? In OSX when I boot it goes directly to the mac logo. In Ubuntu there seems to be a 10 second or more hesitation before it access my hard drive. Is there anyway to change some settings in the BIOS / EFI?

V$H.

linuxopjemac
November 5th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Did you bless the partition?

OTSB708
November 6th, 2010, 03:50 AM
I have the same issue but I am using a single boot partition on my MBP 2,2. Is this the blessing you are talking about? http://mac.linux.be/content/single-boot-linux-without-delay

vsh3r
November 6th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Hi,

Updating the bootloader to use rEFIt rather then grub may not work and still have the same issues. Has anyone else tried using rEFIt?

V$H.

:popcorn:

vsh3r
November 6th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Hold on.. from what I'm reading in that html file you posted all I need to do if I already have Ubuntu installed on my drive is boot from the OSX cd and type ...

bless --device /dev/diskXsX --setBoot --legacy --verbose

where diskXsX is the location of my linux drive.
This sounds great.. however, if I put in my old OSX drive back in the system will this mess anything up?

V$H.

linuxopjemac
November 6th, 2010, 06:53 PM
No, it should not be. In all cases, make a backup before doing this kind of stuff. I recommend CloneZilla.

SwedishWings
November 25th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I have the same issue on my MacBookPro5,1 with both Maverick and Lucid (tripple boot).

I have tried both with and without rEFIt, but always with the same "hesitation" as noted above.

In addition, sometimes the boot halts at that point, and i need to restart to get Ubuntu to boot.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike