PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] adjust ufw LIMIT rule

nerdy_kid
November 4th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Hello, I need to adjust what exactly ufw LIMIT port# does. I like the fact that the port is getting limited, but ufw overdoes it a bit. Is there a config file somewhere I can edit? thanks.

nerdy_kid
November 5th, 2010, 04:55 PM
bump...

nerdy_kid
November 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM
bump....

nerdy_kid
November 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM
bump

benju
January 13th, 2011, 07:48 AM
hello nerdy_kid.

I don't know if you're still looking into this, but:

ufw rules are stored in a file called: user.rules

when you issue:

locate user.rules

the following comes up:

/lib/ufw/user.rules
/usr/share/ufw/user.rules
/usr/share/ufw/user.rules.md5sum
/usr/share/ufw/iptables/user.rules

I believe you must edit the /lib/ufw/user.rules file.
If you look inside (and have a current active limiting rule) you'll see the rule structure (I believe you need ...limit --limit 3/min...)

As far as *how* you must modify it, I honestly can't tell you as I haven't tinkered with this myself, it's up to you.
Test it in a Virtual Machine or non-critical hardware until you're sure you understand how it works (you don't want an accidental hole in your firewall) And when satisfied, apply it to the desired machine.

Disclaimer: I'm far from an expert and provide this tip to the best of my knowledge and with best intentions, use at your own risk.

cheers.

nerdy_kid
January 14th, 2011, 02:30 AM
hello nerdy_kid.

I don't know if you're still looking into this, but:

ufw rules are stored in a file called: user.rules

when you issue:

locate user.rules

the following comes up:

/lib/ufw/user.rules
/usr/share/ufw/user.rules
/usr/share/ufw/user.rules.md5sum
/usr/share/ufw/iptables/user.rules

I believe you must edit the /lib/ufw/user.rules file.
If you look inside (and have a current active limiting rule) you'll see the rule structure (I believe you need ...limit --limit 3/min...)

As far as *how* you must modify it, I honestly can't tell you as I haven't tinkered with this myself, it's up to you.
Test it in a Virtual Machine or non-critical hardware until you're sure you understand how it works (you don't want an accidental hole in your firewall) And when satisfied, apply it to the desired machine.

Disclaimer: I'm far from an expert and provide this tip to the best of my knowledge and with best intentions, use at your own risk.

cheers.

thats exactly what I was looking for, thanks!