PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bridging connections Laptop xbox

MilesD
November 2nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hi Guys!
iḿ new to this forum and let me start of with saying that Im real bad with computers. I know my way around windows but my Vista files got corrupted a few days ago and thats why i decided to use Ubuntu.
Well anyway, this is my problem.
Ive got a Acer5920 Laptop and an Xbox. My xbox is in the living room and Id like to connect it to the internet. When i had vista i used bridged connection. :Xbox => ethernet port of my laptop bridged with wlan of laptop => router.
Bridging connections on vista is fairly easy but I have no clue how to bridge connections on ubuntu. Can someone please help me?

Regards,
Miles

firstEncounter
November 2nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hi Guys!
iḿ new to this forum and let me start of with saying that Im real bad with computers. I know my way around windows but my Vista files got corrupted a few days ago and thats why i decided to use Ubuntu.
Well anyway, this is my problem.
Ive got a Acer5920 Laptop and an Xbox. My xbox is in the living room and Id like to connect it to the internet. When i had vista i used bridged connection. :Xbox => ethernet port of my laptop bridged with wlan of laptop => router.
Bridging connections on vista is fairly easy but I have no clue how to bridge connections on ubuntu. Can someone please help me?

Regards,
Miles

Bridging the connection is overkill. Simply setting the ethernet to be shared works.

- Go to "System", "Preferences", "Network Connections"
- Select "Auto eth0" and press "Edit"
- Go to the tab "IPv4 Settings" and change the method to "Shared to other computers".

Now reboot or run
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

MilesD
November 2nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks for you reply!
I did that and tried connecting but now i get the error Ćan obtain ip adress from your router though my internet is working :/ Is there a way to solve this? Is it possible to connect an xbox to a linux pc? and is there a guide for connecting an xbox to linux pcs