PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] networking over ssh or vnc

stlsaint
November 1st, 2010, 09:58 PM
Hey smart people i have a quick question.
So i will be soon in a place where i will have limited internet
(1GB download a month) and i was wanting to setup my two servers to serve as my music/video servers so i can use them while im out of country. Now i know how to setup all the port forwarding, etc etc. My question is if i connect to server via vnc or ssh (i currently use ssh for all remote handling) and i watch movies that way will it effect my 1GB download cap? I have an idea of what the answer will be but im hoping for some ideas/projects that are available that i can use to be able to stream without reaching this 1GB limit! (if i understand networking correctly im screwed!) just looking for a ray of hope here!! :guitar:

NertSkull
November 1st, 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm pretty sure ssh wouldn't work because you'd have to transfer the movie itself wouldn't you? Maybe not, but I would think so. So you'd hit the cap fast.

And VNC doesn't seem like it would be much better.

But, this is what I was curious about. Do you think you could use something like handbrake or similar to shrink all your videos down and then stream a highly lossy version? I was thinking you could set up a script to pick your movie, have it shrunk down on your remote computer, then just stream the low quality movie. Still you probably could only do a few month with only 1GB, but thats the best I could think of.

nebileix
November 2nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
In whichever case, you are fried...

would suggest you to bring external storage. Else you will fill up ur bandwidth in a short time.

gd luck

stlsaint
November 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
In whichever case, you are fried...

would suggest you to bring external storage. Else you will fill up ur bandwidth in a short time.

gd luck

Yea thats what i figured in the first place. No way getting around it! Like i said i was just looking for a ray of hope!! :D