PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will Ubuntu 64 bit run on my Mac Book Pro?

Symbolix
November 1st, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hi,
I have already installed Ubuntu 8.04.4 on my Mac Book Pro (CoreDuo). Do not ask me why it is 8.04.4 and not 10.04 :) It is a long story and it is all here on this forum.

Anyway, it is a 2006 Mac Book Pro, intel and one of the fist generations. It should be %100 32bit right? (I know it is not 64bit under OSX for sure)

Does that mean that it is %100 that it cannot be 64bit under Ubuntu?

The reason for asking this is that, I am very interested in Autodesk Maya. And they have only a 64bit version for Linux.

* So will a 64bit app. run under a 32bit Ubuntu distro?
* If not, will Ubuntu 8.04.4 (64bit) run on my laptop so that I can install Maya 64bit?
* If not, does anybody know what is the latest 32bit Maya Linux version out there?

Thanks.

rcayea
November 1st, 2010, 04:59 PM
I am not sure if this helps, but I think if you just try a 64-bit-live-cd you should be able to find out that way. If the 64-bit-live-cd works then I believe it should work when installed.

vsh3r
November 2nd, 2010, 02:42 AM
Hi,

I ran openSUSE 64 bit on my old Macbook Pro 4,2 (2.16 GHz Dual Core) and it ran on 64 bit. As a side comment OpenSUSE still isn't up-to-speed yet on the package manager side. However, the GUI is starting to get slick especially the simplified version of the task bar you can search for your programs a lot easier then in Ubuntu. Ubuntu is starting to get crazy with all these menu's like Applications, Places, System. OpenSUSE has that all integrated into one task bar entry.

For Macbook Pro Ubuntu 64 bit should run... also, as the previous person said... I think the Live CD's will automatically check to see if it is compatible with 32bit or 64bit. Oddly on a regular Macbook (Dual Core 2.16 GHz) that my girlfriend has the 64 BIT VERSION LIVE CD would not load only the 32 bit Live CD worked.

64 bit Ubuntu should work on Macbook Pro's that are Dual Core because 64bit OpenSUSE did.

V$H.

Symbolix
November 2nd, 2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks,
Well, I really would like to try it, but I just finished setting up the 32bit environment... So it is a bit of "too much to do", switching and trying 64bit. But good to know. I will try next time.

vsh3r
November 2nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
Red Hat use to auto upgrade your system to 64 bit even if you did a 32 bit install. It would download the 64 bit kernal and upgrade any libraries associated with it. Why doesn't Ubuntu do this as well?

V$H.

:confused:

Symbolix
November 2nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
So you are using "Red Hat"? Right? It says:
"Red Hat Enterprise Linux suite is supported for the ATI Catalyst 9.3"

So I can use it as well with my Macbook Pro (2.16, Core Duo, 2006). But I have to pay for it right? I could not find any screen-shots? How does it look like?

Thanks.

vsh3r
November 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 on a Macbook Pro 6,2 everything is working except bluetooth and even that is working with a hack SUPPOSEDLY but I haven't gotten that working myself. If you need help with getting it working you should look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

If you dont want to pay for Red Had try CentOS its free and should be exactly the same as Red Hat without the logo... I'm not sure how legal that is but apparently the rules of the Open Source Universe seem to think its okay... CentOS is also being adopted by major universities. However, Red Hat just feels old school they don't really adopt things like AWN new taskbar features quickly enough into their mainstream builds. I guess Ubuntu also has this issue.

I'm impressed with how easy it is to update the AWN taskbar in Python and make custom features.

V$H.

:)