PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How To- Fix Password required for Network share for vista/win 7

usdachoice
October 31st, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hello. First off I'm very new to Ubuntu (used for 2 days) and would like to say hi. Now, after trail and error I have found a fix for Vista. As for Windows 7 I'm not quite sure if this method works, however Vista and 7 are similar. So if a Windows 7 user can confirm this working, please let me know.

First step is to bring up your Net work and sharing center. You can do this by right clicking on your internet icon on the task bar and selecting Net work and sharing center. If for some reason your internet icon is not on the the task bar you can click on the start menu, then control panel, now click on network and internet, and lastly click network and internet sharing center.

Next step is to scroll down and look for Sharing and Discovery. Once you have found this click on Password protected sharing. This is by default turned on. Go ahead and turn it off.

Last step is to go back to Ubuntu and connect. It should now connect with out any password.

This is the only method I have found that works. Creating a new user account on Vista never worked.

I hope this how to works for everyone else as it has done for me. Happy sharing :-)

NOTE: I would like a Windows 7 user to confirm if this method will work

IMPORTANT: I would highly recommend that you turn password protected sharing back on once you are finished sharing you files. Leaving it off will allow anyone on your network to access your shared folders.