PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP DV 2000 laptop loud fan

rmcellig
October 29th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Is there any way to reduce the sound of the fan on my laptop? Maybe some kind of setting? I find it very loud all the time and it is really annoying.

ajgreeny
October 29th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I have no idea what video card is in your laptop, but Lucid is well known for causing overheating with some ATI cards in particular. It meant that I could not run Lucid on my old laptop.

However, the newer kernel in Maverick has overcome that, and now the laptop runs beautifully cool, just as it should. If you want to try it out, and I think it well worth doing, you could also try installing the more recent kernel and appropriate header packages from https://launchpad.net/~kernel-ppa/+archive/ppa It has to be worth a try; even if it is a failure, there is nothing lost and you can just remove that kernel with synaptic.

I am running the new kernel on Lucid and it appears to be completely stable and has given me no problems at all. It may have helped my laptop overheating problem, but as I have now upgraded that to Maverick, which runs so well, I shall stick with it.

rmcellig
October 29th, 2010, 05:09 PM
It's not that my laptop is running hot it's just that as soon as I startup my machine, it's loud. I am running 10.10. Is there any software to control the fan. I find it loud.