PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Broken ATI Drivers

Toxcity
October 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evening guys,
I am just having fun and trying to learn as much as I can so this evening I decided I would download some ATI drivers and try and install them.

Now this seemed all okay until I rebooted and I had both the old and the new drivers installed. Messy! So I tried to uninstall both drivers. Rebooted and now I have broken packages and the like.

I have no working drivers I can't install or uninstall. I always get an error telling me to "FORCE_ATI_UNINSTALL" but have no idea how to do that.

Any ideas? I would on a quest for more performance but ended up with no performance. :(

Warning] Uninstall : inst_path_default or inst_path_override
does not exist in /etc/ati. This suggests that the ATI driver
is not installed, the ATI driver is only partially installed,
or the current ATI driver installed is an older version than the
one this script was designed for. Both files listed above are
required for determining where installed files are located.
To force uninstallation of the driver by guessing where the
uninstallation files are located, set the FORCE_ATI_UNINSTALL
environment variable and re-run /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh (this is not recommended).

Toxcity
October 28th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Got some drivers installed after figuring out the Force command. They are running but have yet to get hardware acceleration back. Working on it. :)

Toxcity
October 29th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Cleaned the lot out and reinstalled. Had some kind of visual bling until I installed the drivers from the Ubuntu thingy. Rebooted and back to square one no bling. :(

Tried to enable effects and it gives me an error because it fails. Stuck. :(

tadaskr
October 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I had similar problem with 10.04. Now I'm using 10.10 and no problems for now :)

Flcn42
October 29th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hi Toxcity,

I had the same warning when I tried to uninstall and reinstall the ATI drivers. I moved the /etc/ati and /usr/share/ati directories to a different location. The warning message disappeared and I could install without any problems.

The drivers provided by Ubuntu (System->Administration->Additional Drivers) do provide acceleration. The drivers provided by AMD (10.10) don't seem to provide acceleration (it doesn't work on my PC). I believe Ubuntu has some kind of pre-release version that is different from the AMD 10.10 version. So for the time being we should stick with the Ubuntu drivers.

The reason I was playing around with the drivers was because my PC was incredibly slow and I thought it was because of the drivers. However I found that by installing Linux kernel 2.6.36 the PC became much faster (see thread [ubuntu] 10.10 runs slow and jerky (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1592245) post #93 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9962335&postcount=93). I don't recommend playing around with the kernel unless you're prepared to do a complete reinstall of Ubuntu :(

Hope some of this helps!

Toxcity
October 29th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the reply guys!
I have now got the Ubuntu drivers installed but I get no acceleration what so ever. :(
With them disabled I get all the prettiness back. Any ideas? :)

Flcn42
October 29th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hi Toxcity,

Have you tried ->System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects->Normal?
This works with the Ubuntu drivers. (Extra may be too much for your graphics card.)

Toxcity
October 29th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Hey Flcn42,

Yep, I've tried that. Gives me a nice error saying "Failed to enable desktop effects" after attempting to find a driver (which is installed).

Stuck! :(

Flcn42
October 29th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hi Toxcity,

If you open the ATI Catalyst Control Center (->System->Preferences) Are the fields for OpenGL filled in? (at the bottom of the Information entry). If the fields a blank the installation was not complete. You will need to uninstall (+reboot) and then remove manually any remains of the drivers (directories mentioned in an earlier post by me). You should also preform a clean-up, clear and update of your apt-get cache before reinstalling:

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get check
sudo apt-get update

Then try to install the drivers again.....

Toxcity
October 29th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Dead on, the OpenGL fields were empty. :)
How do I completely clean all ATI stuff before I reinstall?

Thanks!

Flcn42
October 29th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Aha!

The offical way to unistall the driver is described here: ATI installation instructions (https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_cat109-inst.pdf)

Unofficial way

uninstall the drivers ->System->Administration->Additional Drivers->De-activate
reboot
check and (re-)move any unwanted remains (/etc/ati and /usr/share/ati); I moved both directories to /tmp and later threw them away.
preform the three apt-get steps mentioned in previous post (sudo apt-get clean; sudo apt-get check; sudo apt-get update)
install again using ->System->Administration->Additional Drivers->Activate

Toxcity
October 29th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Everything went well, cleaned Cache Cleared configs installed driver (took a while) rebooted and boom. Still not working. :(

Still nothing in the OpenGL fields. Stuck.. again. :)

Flcn42
October 29th, 2010, 03:34 PM
bummer :confused:

What does youe /etc/X11/xorg.conf file look like?

Here is mine:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Driver "fglrx"
EndSection

It should be identical (automatically generated).

Running out of ideas. I have noticed a lot of threads regarding the ATI drivers...

Toxcity
October 30th, 2010, 12:25 PM
File does not exist. :(

Flcn42
October 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hi Toxcity,

Well you could try to make it yourself:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

And paste mine into the file, reboot and see what happens...

However I suspect there is something else going wrong. Another thing you could try to find out what is going wrong is to uninstall (using ->System->Administration->Additional Drivers->De-activate) and then installing manually:

sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-modaliases

You should now see any warning and/or error messages (don't forget to reboot afterwards).

Toxcity
October 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Going to try that now. Manual editing of the xorg.conf failed. :(
God, I hate ATI...

Toxcity
October 30th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Sorry for double post.

Manually downloaded the packages but never got the message. Got to the end and nothing happened. Rebooted and the driver isn't install.

Looking like a full reinstall. :(

gloinar
October 31st, 2010, 09:57 AM
I did several reinstalls of the drivers as described here - no success.

But running

sudo aticonfig --initial and restarting Xorg finally got the ati drivers to work.

I guess you have to purge the drivers (I also deleted all fglrx and ati folders afterwards), reinstall them and run the config tool - that did it for me.

Happy Halloween!