PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Asus EB1501P IR XBMC

ehowe01
October 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I just picked up this device with the goal of putting Ubuntu 10.04/XBMC on it. Ubuntu does not see the IR receiver at all, and thus the remote does not work. I followed the guide at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO_perform_a_miminal_Ubuntu_and_XBMC_install_on_a_ Asus_EeeBox_PC_EB1501 and also attempted the method for the German / Asian version. Nothing so far has worked.

Lspci does not see the receiver, dmesg and /var/log/messages don't seem to detect it either.

I know this is a new device and probably hasn't been tested out much yet, but I figure I must not be the only one trying to get this to work.

I was thinking about upgrading to 10.10 to see if that would help out at all, but I thought I would post here first to see if anybody has any ideas.

[UPDATE]
I reinstalled last night with 10.10, still no IR receiver. I'm running out of ideas here. Anybody got anything?

senilio
November 1st, 2010, 11:00 AM
Please note that the IR reciever is now located here:

/sys/devices/pnp0/00:0a

On previous versions of the eb1501 it used to be found at 00:09.

ehowe01
November 1st, 2010, 02:13 PM
That's what I thought. I've tried echoing activate into /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0a/resources and it changes its state to active, but it still doesn't show up in lspci, and it still doesn't respond to the remote.

senilio
November 1st, 2010, 02:32 PM
I too followed the "German / Asian" guide.

Only difference seems to be I did a dpkg-reconfigure lirc and put Windows Media Center Trancievers/Remotes under "Remote control configuration", and Custom under "IR transmitter".

Other than this, I followed the guide.

ehowe01
November 1st, 2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks, I'm giving that a shot now. I had the remote set the same, but I used none for the ir receiver as the guide said. I'll post back with my results in a few.

ehowe01
November 1st, 2010, 02:58 PM
Hmm. No luck there. Still nothing when I run irw. Did you end up using the start_ite8713 script? I've tried it both ways, still nothing. The receiver should show up in lspci after activating it, correct?

senilio
November 1st, 2010, 03:06 PM
Yes, I am using the start_ite-script. I ended up modifying it a bit. Perhaps you'll have better luck following my little guide a wrote on the xbmc forum:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=635064&postcount=115

Please let me know your results.

BTW, nothing shows up for me in lspci or lsusb, so I don't think you should worry about that :)

ehowe01
November 1st, 2010, 03:14 PM
You, my friend, are a lifesaver. That worked. It is definitely the IRQ problem. Using your template and modified script did the trick. Will mark this post as solved. Thanks for all your help.

senilio
November 1st, 2010, 03:17 PM
Glad I could help! If you run into any other problems with your eb1501p, I might be able to help... good luck!

dredmond
November 3rd, 2010, 10:58 PM
Hi, as far as I can tell I've followed your instructions to the letter but I still can't get the remote going on my new 1501P :(

Is there any logs/commands I can use to figure out where I've gone wrong?

TIA :)

ehowe01
November 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Sorry for the late response, were you able to get it up and running yet? If not, make sure that the start_it8713.sh script is executing on boot, and it should look like this:

echo activate > /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0a/resources
sleep .2
NEWIRQ=$(grep ^irq /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0a/resources|cut -d' ' -f2)
TEMPLATE=/root/lirc.template
TARGET=/etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf
cat $TEMPLATE | sed 's/GETIRQ/'$NEWIRQ'/g' >$TARGET
/etc/init.d/lirc stop
rmmod lirc_it87
echo activate > /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0a/resources
modprobe lirc_it87
/etc/init.d/lirc start

lirc should not be set to start on boot, check rc.d for that as well.