PDA

View Full Version : [edubuntu] Hardware installed in laptops that allows you to surf for free?

DanielAshurst
October 28th, 2010, 12:44 PM
What do you call the hardware(?) installed in laptops that allows the user to have free internet access anytime, anywhere? I mean it's different from wi-fi right.

Eternal_Light
October 28th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I don't think that such a thing exists... If you are talking about 3g access, you have to pay for it (i think the price is set by the kbs of data that you download and not by the time you stay connected).

TBABill
October 28th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Do you mean connecting to a "hot spot", such as at a Cafe, Barnes n Noble, etc? If that's what you are referring to then it's the same as "wifi". It uses your wireless device in the laptop to connect to an open network. Many businesses offer free WiFi so you can use your computer while you enjoy their services and location. McDonald's is another that comes to mind.

phr0ze
October 28th, 2010, 04:09 PM
There is Wifi, limited to businesses which offer the service to keep you in the store longer.

There is 3G, which has a hefty monthly fee. This has the best coverage.

Then there is WiMax (4G). This is the same as Sprint 4G, and Clear. This isn't a cellular network, but more like a wifi network on steroids. It's limited to a few cities but should be the defacto soon enough because it's cheaper to offer/deploy than 3G. It still will likely not ever be free in the US.

Summary:
Wifi - Free or low cost and cheap hardware, but very limited service areas, usually fast depending on the provider

3G/Cellular - Everywhere but expensive hardware (usually not subsidized), expensive service, low bandwidth limits, and slow

4G/WiMax - In many major cities, subsidized, moderately expensive service, Fast, usually no bandwidth limits.