PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OSX to Lucid: What Can I Bring With Me?

Carleas
October 27th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I'm switching from OSX 10.4 to Lucid on a MacBook 1,1. In preparing for the switch, I'm backing up my files, and I'm curious what kinds of files will port directly, and which I may need to convert or otherwise finagle. I'm using SeaMonkey for browsing and email, can I export my email, bookmarks, paswords, etc., and load them into Ubuntu SeaMonkey? Will Ubuntu's office software be able to convert MS Office files, or should I export them as plaintext, csv's, etc.?

I've looked all over for advice on this, but I haven't found anything specific. Any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Marinozai
October 27th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I'm switching from OSX 10.4 to Lucid on a MacBook 1,1. In preparing for the switch, I'm backing up my files, and I'm curious what kinds of files will port directly, and which I may need to convert or otherwise finagle. I'm using SeaMonkey for browsing and email, can I export my email, bookmarks, paswords, etc., and load them into Ubuntu SeaMonkey? Will Ubuntu's office software be able to convert MS Office files, or should I export them as plaintext, csv's, etc.?

I've looked all over for advice on this, but I haven't found anything specific. Any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, you can convert everything - Ubuntu is very customizable. Some things may be harder than others. For instance, you need to specifically choose to open your Microsoft Word docs in OpenOffice.

What I would suggest doing is a dual boot. Definitely. You can Boot Camp Ubuntu, or just install it on a separate partition and install rEFIt in Mac OS X.