PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Looking for Linux compatible VOICE/CALLER ID Modem

kpatz
October 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I'm looking to develop an anti-telemarketer app for Ubuntu, but am having trouble finding dial-up modems that are Linux compatible, with Voice and Caller ID capability.

Most of the sites that have info on this sort of thing are years old and the modems they use are no longer available (e.g. Intel 537 chipset based modems). Comparison and compatibility lists don't tell what chipsets modems use, nor do they tell if they have Voice or Caller ID capability.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Preferably those who are actually USING a currently-available modem on their Ubuntu system? PCI or PCI Express is preferred, but will settle for USB as a 2nd option. Serial is a last resort. I did purchase a Multi-Tech MT5634ZBA-V-V92-NAM from Amazon but it was defective and had to return it, and they had no more in stock at the time. Finding these is like pulling teeth, and it doesn't help that Multi-Tech has another model without voice with a very similar model #.

A simple Winmodem with Ubuntu drivers for voice/caller id would be fine, but these seem to be very poorly supported, and nothing recent can be found.

Anything? Bueller? I refuse to let telescum ruin my evenings any more!

P.S. Don't say "Asterisk." I'm not going to spend $400+ for a 4-port analog voice card when a $20 modem should do the job.