PDA

View Full Version : Howto: get rid of the screensaver?

miamalleena
October 20th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I have (what I think is) an automatic screensaver. But I would like to diable it because about after every 10 minutes, when being unactice, it turns on. I'm mainy stressed out because it's impossible to watch movies etc.
a damsel in distress - is there any simple solution?

drs305
October 20th, 2010, 11:54 PM
miamalleena,

Welcome to the Ubuntu forums. I've moved your post to Absolute Beginners. It was in the Tutorials section, perhaps because the title started with "Howto".

To disable the screensaver, you can go to the Main Menu, System Preferences, Screensaver.

You can make changes to the screensaver; if you want to turn it off completely untick the "Activate screensaver when the computer is idle." You can change how long before the screensaver activates with the slider bar on the same page.

Also, when your questions are all answered, we would like you to mark any thread you start as SOLVED. You do this with the 'Thread Tools' link to the top right of the first post. It helps others looking for threads with solutions and allows the helpers to concentrate their efforts on problems still needing a resolution. Thanks.

Brianmorin
September 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM
So if I understand correctly, there is no way to override the time set other than setting the screensaver to activate after, say 2 hours. Nothing more automatic than that??? New to Ubutu! - bri

miamalleena,

Welcome to the Ubuntu forums. I've moved your post to Absolute Beginners. It was in the Tutorials section, perhaps because the title started with "Howto".

To disable the screensaver, you can go to the Main Menu, System Preferences, Screensaver.

You can make changes to the screensaver; if you want to turn it off completely untick the "Activate screensaver when the computer is idle." You can change how long before the screensaver activates with the slider bar on the same page.

Also, when your questions are all answered, we would like you to mark any thread you start as SOLVED. You do this with the 'Thread Tools' link to the top right of the first post. It helps others looking for threads with solutions and allows the helpers to concentrate their efforts on problems still needing a resolution. Thanks.

Zeta-K
September 16th, 2011, 04:03 PM
if you want to turn it off completely untick the "Activate screensaver when the computer is idle."
I think that answers your question.

stinkeye
September 16th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Your screen can turn off when idle for 10 mins irrespective
of your screensaver settings due to Energy Star (dpms).

To check for Energy Star enter in the terminal

xset -q
and look down the bottom for a line

DPMS is Enabled

To disable this use

xset -dpms

to enable use

xset +dpms

If you disable dpms it will be enabled at next boot.
You can add

xset -dpms
to startup applications to disable altogether.