PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Won't boot without power cord

Craigular.B
October 19th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Hey all,

I have 10.10 running on my MacBook Pro 4,1 (Penryn), and I've noticed that it refuses to boot unless the power adapter is plugged in. I can get into recovery mode from GRUB on batter, and both OSX and Windows 7 boot fine on battery, but Linux refuses to load (I also noticed this with 10.04 before I did a clean install of 10.10).

Any ideas?

Craigular.B
October 22nd, 2010, 04:59 PM
I have an update to this problem, and a temporary solution.

Today I found out that if I push the power button on my laptop while Ubuntu sits at the black screen with a blinking cursor that it normally gets stuck at (after I choose Ubuntu in GRUB), I hear the hard drive come back to life and I get a login window.

Anybody know if there's a fix for this? Again, this only happens when I do a cold boot of my laptop on battery only.

reposed
October 30th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Exactly the same issue - and same resolution. Any updates on whether there is a fix for this yet?

bitttttor
November 18th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Hi,
I have the same problem, I'm running Ubuntu on a Macbook Pro 17" 2009 and doesn't start without the cord.

Any ideas??

bollig
May 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Same problem, Macbook Pro 4,1. It wasn't fixed in the update to 11.04 (Natty). Anyone find a solution?