PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to open port for BT downloads using Transmission

H3R3T1K
October 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Transmission says my port is closed. If I google the problem, it just gives me advice on how to open a port in Windows OS. There's no firewall in Ubuntu 10.10 by default, right? There isn't any router used neither. I'm living in a dorm. I just plug the LAN cable in the box fixed to the wall. Hope you guys can help me out.

Cheers

Barriehie
October 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM
You have to open the port via iptables. As root, the command will look something like:

iptables -A INPUT -p protocol --dport port# -j ACCEPT

You can find a primer on iptables here (http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/iptables/).

HTH

Grenage
October 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Transmission says my port is closed. If I google the problem, it just gives me advice on how to open a port in Windows OS. There's no firewall in Ubuntu 10.10 by default, right? There isn't any router used neither. I'm living in a dorm. I just plug the LAN cable in the box fixed to the wall. Hope you guys can help me out.

Cheers

I would imagine that it's being blocked by the campus gateway. Most academic institutes don't want their network becoming a torrent farm.

MechaMechanism
October 19th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I would imagine that it's being blocked by the campus gateway. Most academic institutes don't want their network becoming a torrent farm.
Thats too bad, because it means we can't help him. I think the COC forbids help in trying to get around firewalls, like say China, corporate, campus.