PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB Wireless Card, No Connection

ooboontwo
October 18th, 2010, 02:35 AM
EDIT: Having exact same problem as this guy: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1440864

He has given up and is buying a new adapter. I'd like to stick it out and try and fix this.

When I load the Windows XP 64 bit drivers ndiswrapper freaks everything out. The GUI won't respond and I get the same exact errors as the guy in the thread above. I have tried Win7, Win2k and Vista drivers for 64 bit. None work, I get the "couldn't load driver" error in tail /var/log/messages...

Hello,

I am new to Ubuntu but quite familiar with computers / hardware / networking in general. Nevertheless, I have searched and tried many different things in order to get my wireless USB device to work in Ubuntu but to no avail.

Here are the details:

OS Version: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) installed with WUBI.
Processor: AMD 64 Bit Dual-Core @ 2.6 Ghz
Memory: 2 GB
Wireless Device: Fry's FR-54USB, Realtek 8192su chipset

PLEASE NOTE: I have seen and attempted the fix from this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1491058

Ndis is properly installed, along with the appropriate driver. Also, Ndis shows that the device is connected.

lsusb shows that the device is being recognized as a "D-Link Systems" device.

However, wlan0 never shows up anywhere (is this the proper term?) and network manager doesn't even have the option to "Enable Wireless".

I am, of course, new to terminal commands so I don't know what else to try. Most of what I have attempted was using the GUI.

What should I try next?

Also, I didn't ask Ubuntu to install a 64 bit version of the operating system; does it do this automatically or something? I am running dual-boot with Windows Vista 32 Bit. Could this be a part of the problem? Or is it that Ubuntu / Linux doesn't have separate 32/64 bit operating systems like Windows but just goes with the highest support of one's processor? (In my case, 64 bit.)

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Cody

ooboontwo
October 18th, 2010, 05:44 AM
More information and a bump:

tail /var/log/messages shows:

loadndisdriver: load_driver(358): couldn't load driver net8192su

But ndiswrapper - l shows: Driver Installed, Device Present

Hope this info helps.

ooboontwo
October 19th, 2010, 02:22 PM
:confused: Bump. Help a brother out?

I do not have any new ideas... but would like to get Ubuntu working with internet sometime soon.

Cheers,
Cody

ooboontwo
October 21st, 2010, 02:50 AM
Any thoughts at all to get this working?

mojo6911
March 5th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Same problems here. You get it fixed?

ooboontwo
March 25th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Never fixed this problem. Shame. I don't know how to code my own driver, so I guess I just have to go without wireless internet.